how to save money from summer job

10 Ways For Broke College Students to Save and Earn Money This Summer

Ways to be pleasantly surprised when you check your bank account and wallet instead of disappointed.

285
Pennies spilling out of a jar

I work full time every summer and by the end I feel like I have nothing to show for it. If you are like me want ways to make your money last a little longer and maybe make a little extra: here are ten easy ways to save and earn money this summer!

1. Save your pennies!

Literally… so many people throw away coins or lose them because of how little worth they are individually. Put all your coins into a jar and see how quickly it grows! If you saved one quarter everyday of summer, by the end you would have saved almost $20! It may not sound like much, but I would like an extra $20 in my pocket.

2. Make it at home!

Whether it be your daily coffee, your lunch, or even an expensive smoothie bowl, you'll save money if you bring it from home. On average I spend over $30 a week if I buy lunch at work everyday. By the end of the summer that $30 has added up to over $300! I've started packing my lunch two to three times a week to help reduce this extra expense. Also, an added bonus is you will be able to control what goes into your food and drinks! No more throwing away a coffee because someone made it wrong! No more being lied to about that meal being healthy when its really full of fillers.

3. Sell those clothes collecting dust in your closet.

Photo by Shanna Camilleri on Unsplash

1. Poshmark, Facebook Yard Sale, Ebay, and thousands of other sites are perfect spots to sell clothes and other things laying around your house. You spent (or maybe your parents spent) money on all these things that are collecting dust! Take advantage and make some money off of them. Over winter break I wanted to make some money so I created a Poshmark. I was able to make $130 in a couple of weeks by selling clothes I haven't worn in years!

4. Get a job

1. This one shouldn't even have to be explained. If you are complaining about being broke but sit at home all day there is a simple solution! Just go around to local businesses (target, Dunkin' Donuts, local summer camp or rec, McDonalds, babysitting, etc.) and fill out an application. A lot of these places call you in for an interview and hire you on the spot. Just don't wait too long because every other college and high school student on summer break are job searching as well and the good ones will go fast (some might already be filled).

5. Stop wasting money on socializing

Do a lot of your hangouts revolve around food? Going to the movies? Shopping? I am 100% guilty of spending money just so I have an excuse to hang out with my friends. Instead, go on hikes, the beach, have a fire, sight see or a different free (or close to free) activity. These things will not only save you and your friends money, it will also create lasting memories!

6. Find a group of friends to share with!

I borrow my friends clothes all the time! Whenever my friend group wants to dress up, everyone's closet is free range. The sharing doesn't have to stop at clothing! You can share jewelry, shoes, books, and even passwords to things like Hulu and Netflix! Just make sure to always return what you borrow! You don't want to lose your friends trust or even the friendship over a shirt!

7. Never buy anything full price.

Stores are constantly having sales, just be patient and wait for them. If you don't still want that shirt in a month, then you probably didn't need it that much anyways. This will save you money in two ways because it will prevent you from impulsive purchases you don't need and it will allow you to get products for a fraction of the price. Also, try to take advantage of end of season sales!

8. Thrift it!

Thrift shopping tends to take a little longer because there are so many more pieces to look through, but it's worth it! You can find name brand clothes for prices that won't break the bank. One of my favorite sweaters was around $5 at a thrift store! Who wants to spend $40+ when they can get the same thing for under $10? So take the time and save yourself money!

9. Become a product tester!

Influenster Boxes

https://instagram.com/p/BkWKV8-jGlJ

This seems a little out there, but it's actually something I've done before! Companies like Influenster will send you free products! All you have to do is answer some questions (about where you shop and the type of products you purchase). They randomly select people every month to receive a box with FULL SIZED products. If you get one they ask you to review the products on social media (but there's NO penalty if you don't!). I found one of my favorite hair products through a box I got from Influenster!

10. Take advantage of discounts

Student discounts are offered at so many places! Check out local businesses around your college to see if they have a discount for showing a student ID. You can get 10-20% off! Also companies like Spotify and Apple offer student discounts for using a student email. Make sure to ask if they offer discounts before purchasing! Also, many companies offer discounts on your birthday so make sure to take advantage of those savings too!