22 Ways To Express Gratitude This New Year

We all can be a little bit more giving in this new year.
63

Gratitude is so simple if done the right way. Whether this is interpersonal or intrapersonal (ie. family or grocery store manager), an act of kindness to show how grateful you are about someone or life in general can give great self-satisfaction. Here are a few things you may find helpful to do to express gratitude or maybe pass along to someone you know.

1. Send a text message.

This will only take a minute of your time during the day to tell someone you appreciate them and everything they do for you. Even if it was that coffee that they purchased for you a week ago.

2. Or even a phone call

What’s better than a text message? If you have 10 minutes of your day to spare to call someone that may need a quick thank you or a chat, this allows for little more of an intimate conversation and this will give time to catch up with someone close to you.

3. Send snail mail.

Let’s take it back to the olden days where letters were the best form of communication. I like this idea of expressing gratitude because this formulates to someone that you are willing to think of them the whole time you are writing down meaningful words. Letters also last way longer than a text message. One-hundred years from now, this letter may still be available to a relative to read and maybe they too will be get the idea of spreading gratitude to someone close to them.

4. Buy coffee or lunch

Sometimes things like this may just be a meaningless thought with an “I’ve got it this round” but a simple coffee or lunch purchase with a, “thank you for being in my life” will give someone a pick me up. It shouldn’t take much for someone to understand your gratitude.

5. Sticky note message

Just something to make someone smile, whether this be for someone at home, a co-worker, or a school mate, it will allow for a smile and maybe this will get passed along to someone new!

6. Hold the door open

I think this is one of my favorite things someone can do for me. I love when strangers hold doors open for me, and I love how surprised people are when I do it for them. It never fails to make someone smile!

7. Donate books to schools.

Schools can always use new or old books. If you’re able to donate anything that has been sitting on your shelf for the lasts 5 years collecting dust, teachers will love you forever.

8. Or school supplies

Pencils, markers, notebooks, folders, tissues, wipes, or anything that will benefit the classroom will always be appreciated; even if it is just an elementary school next to your house.

9. Send vacation postcards.

It’s really just the thought and time that counts – just like the letter, this will give someone the notion that you thought of them while on vacation and it can be kept and looked back on for years to come.

10. Give compliments.

Even if this is to the girl standing next to you at the bathroom sink, compliment her shoes or blouse. Women empowering women is always great!

11. Leave quarters at a vending machine.

You know someone just walked over there wishing they had a few quarters for that bag of chips.

12. Help someone clean their house.

If you’re mom expresses that she is cleaning her house on Saturday and you’re in proximity to her, go over unexpectedly and help out for a few hours.

13. Make dinner with or for someone.

Even if I’m not invited or asked to cook, I still get my hands dirty in the kitchen somehow. I think this kind of gratitude gives the idea that you’re capable of helping whenever you’re around and you’re comfortable enough to jump in on the fun.

14. Suggest a song to someone.

If I listen to a song and I think about a certain person that would love it too, I don’t hesitate to recommend it to them. I love when people send me a text saying they came across this song and thought of me.

15. Be patient and understanding.

I have practiced this while in grocery stores or standing in line at the DMV. There’s no use in getting upset at a situation that is uncontrollable. As there are apologies handed out because of the long wait, suggest that it isn’t a problem and that it happens. I feel like this releases any stress of rushing.

16. Buy little gifts.

If your friend or siblings see something they want and keep talking about it for a week after, go out and splurge a little on what they want. Of course this doesn’t have to happen all the time but it can just be a little reminder gift that you care.

17. Offer positive feedback.

If your classmate's presentation went well, give them the rundown on everything they did great at and pump them up with good vibes because everyone needs it once in a while.

18. Help take care of someone's pets or children.

Simple yet pleasing for someone. I do this fairly often and even if it doesn't seem like a lot, it does alleviate the stress of finding someone last minute

19. Giving hugs

Pretty cliché, but it probably is one of the easiest and comforting things to show gratitude. If you're not the hugging type, then this would definitely let someone know you are grateful.

20. Tip well

No matter where you are or where you go, be nice to your servers and bartenders. They are people just like you and they have feelings. Also, they don't make that much money and their tips usually range from 2 to 3 dollars per person. Sometimes its nice to leave a little more for them.

21. Volunteer locally.

This can be at a homeless shelter, the hospital, or the nursing home to give your time to those who don't always have someone there for them.

22. Buy flowers.

Whether this is a whole bouquet or a single rose, these are the little things that mean the most.