10 Ways I Experience College Differently As An International Student

The college experience has been different for me as an international student.

81

I'm an international student at DePaul University, and my time here interacting with my classmates has revealed the different ways I've experienced life. Therefore, the experiences I bring to the table are usually different to those of my classmates. While there are instances when these differences make me feel like an outsider, I've been equally met with curiosity about my culture and upbringing. Here are the 10 ways I experience college differently as an international student.

1. Different life experiences

Even though I went to an American International School and therefore had a more western upbringing, I nevertheless had different experiences to my current classmates. Some notable examples include going to school with far fewer people and having friends all over the world with whom I’m still in touch. These differences change the way I interact with others and influence my opinions. To experience life at an international school is amazing because the many people I've met means I have people to visit in so many countries now.

2. Finding common ground with others

Finding common ground with others can be difficult when they perceive me as being ‘different’ because of a perceived difference in upbringing. While this stems from me growing up and moving here from overseas, many overlook my ability to relate to numerous situations. After their initial fascination, many classmates have become hesitant about how to relate to me in discussions. This isn’t true of everyone and I have been able to create a social network for myself. However, I learned early on to leave behind people who weren’t accepting and couldn’t see past any differences.

3. I do certain things differently and this is sometimes seen as odd by my peers

This became apparent to me when I moved into student housing my freshman year. My roommates and I had distinct differences in the ways we did certain things from cleaning and doing laundry, to cooking, to even expressing ourselves. It was an interesting experience, living with people who’d had different upbringings and learning from one another.

4. Not having an accent invites confusion

Growing up bilingual with English and Hungarian as my first languages, I did not develop an accent and I ‘sound’ American. In talking to people, many don’t know I’m an international student until the subject is brought up because I don’t have the stereotypical markers of an immigrant. Therefore, a common question I hear is, “Why don’t you have an accent if you grew up in Hungary?” Even though this is a relatively positive factor, it is unpleasant when people assume I’m a citizen and blanket me in with the rest of the class.

5. Explaining where I'm from

Growing up in eastern Europe allowed me to travel frequently and I was able to immerse myself in the other cultures. This also gave me a wider understanding of the different countries in the world. While this doesn’t apply to everyone, most of my fellow classmates haven’t left the continental United States. There are many cultures to discover within the United States, with noticeable differences between states, but I am a firm believer in traveling to other countries and immersing yourself in other peoples’ cultures.

6. Fascination with my culture and language

The most frequent question I get asked is “Can you say [insert phrase or word] in your language” when people find out I’m from Hungary. People also ask me about the differences between living in Hungary and the U.S., and general questions about the culture of Hungary. Since I was a local at my school, and I never experienced living in other countries, I appreciate the opportunity now to share my knowledge about Budapest.

7. Adopting new traditions

I grew up with many of the same traditions like Christmas and Easter, but I’ve also adopted new traditions since moving to the U.S. Going to baseball games, celebrating Thanksgiving with my friends, and outlandish Halloween parties are some of my new favorite traditions.

8. Constantly aware of government regulations and my paperwork

As an international student, I have to always be aware of changes in legislation affecting immigrants. I also have to always ensure I maintain my legal status as a student. While this may seem easy enough, it is a headache when it’s constantly on your mind. Traveling is also complicated by the fact that I have to carry my paperwork with me in case I get asked to identify myself.

9. Not seeing my parents often

Since my parents live overseas, I don't have the luxury of seeing them as often as I would like. Not only is the flight long, it's expensive and the 7-hour time difference takes a toll on me. I am lucky enough to fly home twice a year and cherish the time we have together because otherwise, our relationship exists over the phone.

10. There are many struggles when applying for jobs

Before moving to the U.S., I hadn’t considered the challenges I would face when applying for jobs. I hold a visa and must be employed within my field of study so I can’t get a random job anywhere to support myself. I had the option of being employed on campus, but I tried to focus more on school rather than fitting my classes around work.