The Wawa Versus Cumberland Farms Showdown

Five key differences between the two gas stations.

1600
allevatoarchitects.com

Going back and forth from CT to DE, there is one huge change that I notice: gas stations. Most of the gas stations I see down there, I do not see up here. However, there is a huge competition between two, at least from a north and south standpoint: Cumberland Farms (Cumbies) and Wawa. Everyone down there loves Wawa, and everyone up here loves Cumbies. The main question is: which one is better?

1. Food (made at the station)

I hate to say it, but Wawa wins this competition for food. I have not had much of either food products, but the sandwich I had from Wawa was much better than the pizza I had at Cumbies. I HATED the pizza at Cumbies and I love every pizza I've ever ate so that says something if I prefer a sandwich over pizza.

2. Drink Selection

Wawa may have a larger variety of drinks and cup sizes at their locations, but Cumbies totally wins this one. Not only is every drink their 89 to 99 cents but they have SLUSHIES! Pretty much every time I am there I get myself a slushy. They are my favorite things in the world, and they are only 89 cents for a small or large. Talk about a win!

3. Convenience Store

As a convenience store, both of these places seem to have decent prices for the food that they offer (in packages). So, they tie on this one. I have not purchased anything stale or rotten from their stores, and keep them in pretty good shape. Never had I had a bad experience either place.

4. Customer Service

I don't know what it is but I like Cumbies customer service better. Maybe it is because I am used to the people or always in there when it is not busy but the people are much friendlier. When I go into Wawa, it always seems to be busy and they are just trying to get you out of the door. This is just what I have experienced, however.

5. App

Each of these places have an app but Cumbies is by far so much better. With Cumbies you apply and receive a card through them, almost like a credit card, and you purchase gas and anything else from the store with the card or app. If you use it on gas you get 10 cents off per gallon. Plus with a certain amount of gallons of gas, you receive free drinks and on special occasions other free or discounted items as well. With the Wawa app, you put money on the app and I believe will get rewarded. I tried to use the Wawa app, but I liked the Cumbies one much better.

No matter what gas station is nearest to you or whichever one you use because of the state you live in, they both have their perks and downfalls. Maybe once I use Wawa more I will find it to be better but I will always love Cumbies.