14 Thoughts While Watching Game of Thrones For the First Time

It only took me six seasons...

462
HBO

As the sixth season of the insanely popular HBO show "Game of Thrones" comes to a close, everybody is talking about what took place and what is yet to come. Ever since the show debuted in 2011, I have heard countless conversations about it along with the ever so present line, "You have to watch it!" Well, after six seasons and a month free trial to HBONow, I have finally caved in and decided to give the show a chance. And boy, am I glad that I did. This show is unlike anything else I have watched and I seriously recommend giving it a shot. You might be surprised to find that you just can't turn your eyes away.

As I clicked that start button on the first episode ever, "Winter Is Coming," there were many thoughts that ran through my mind; here are just a few. Oh, and if you're like me and are just getting into it, beware of possible spoilers.

1. What genre is this?

Apparently, the series falls under fantasy and drama. While I think these are two good descriptors for it, I feel that the fans have summed it up best: Anyone Can Die.

2. There's a lot of violence...

No, seriously. There is a lot of violence. If you can't stand the sight of blood or someone getting cut open, then this may not be the show for you. It seems like it isn't a true "Game of Thrones" episode unless at least four people die.

3. And nudity too.

This meme just about sums it up. It seems like every other ten minutes someone is naked or about to be.

4. This is crazy.

One minute you see a king and his old friend smiling as they reunite, then the next you see the king's wife having sex with her brother! Oh, and then the brother pushes a kid out of the window because the poor boy was unfortunate enough to see such acts. Whoever wrote this is a strange yet brilliant person.

5. There are so many people, names and place to keep track of.

My brain hurts sometimes when trying to remember who's who and how they all connect to each other. Thankfully, charts like the one above are here to try and help.

6. I can feel the betrayal through the TV screen.

Betrayal is like a hobby in the world of Game of Thrones. So far, we've got six seasons and I can only imagine who else gets betrayed.

7. How is it possible to already hate at least five characters?

Seriously, I've only watched a few episodes and there are already so many characters that I can not stand. And why is it that the characters you like end up dying while the ones you hate sit pretty? The writers are cruel.

8. Why are they calling Daenerys Targaryen "Khaleesi?"

I was getting so confused when I kept hearing people call her "Khaleesi" when I knew that her name was Daenerys. Good ole Google saved me by informing me that the name is a title that means "wife of the Khal." That basically means she is married to the powerful warlord that reigns over the Dothraki people.

9. The memes finally make sense.

Throughout the years, I would see memes and gifs or hear people make jokes referencing the show. However, only today have I finally been able to laugh and actually understand what the heck they're talking about. They are all 10 times funnier now that I've begun to watch it.

10. I've already seen so many spoilers.

From Joffrey being killed to Arya going blind, the Internet has shown me quite a few important details about the later seasons of Game of Thrones. I didn't care about it back when I thought that I would never watch the show, but now that I am it kind of stinks that I already know certain things that will happen. The consequence of waiting so long to watch it.

11. What took me so long to watch this?

I honestly don't know. Okay, that's a lie. It was because of my laziness and unwillingness to pay $14.99 a month.

12. How do you pronounce his name again?

Some of these names are seriously hard to pronounce. I'm pretty sure I'm pronouncing at least two of them wrong.

13. The intro song was actually really good.

Sometimes I try and have patience so I can listen to the intro song because it really is good. However, most of the time I'm too anxious to get to the episode and find out what happens next that I skip over it.

14. There're six seasons of this.

Now all that's left to do is watch the rest of the six seasons I'm behind on and anxiously await season seven.