8 Reasons 'Schitt's Creek' Is The Lighthearted Binge Watch You Need Going Into Finals Season

Don't judge this book by its cover.

165

If you haven't heard people talking about Canada's best sitcom yet, you probably will soon. Schitt's Creek is about a wealthy family who loses all of their money and is forced to live in a small town they bought as a joke. The Roses are a more likable version of the Bluth family from "Arrested Development," and the show follows their adventures as they tackle rural living, dating and the wacky locals.

If you've yet to be convinced, here are 8 reasons why the show is the positive energy you need in your life as you tackle the end of the semester.

1. Catherine O'Hara

You probably know her from "Home Alone"and "Beetlejuice," but you might not know the exact extent of Catherine O'Hara's comedic talent. She stars as Moira Rose, spirited mother of the Rose family and former daytime soap opera star, with a flair for the dramatic and penchant for wacky pronunciations.

2. Moira Rose's wardrobe

This show could very feasibly just be an elaborate excuse to show off a great wig collection. Moira sports a new brightly-colored wig almost every week, completing the look with an elaborate outfit and tons of jewelry that just serves to emphasize her ostentatious personality—this might not sound particularly funny, but trust me, the visual gag pays off.

3. The most realistic siblings on television

David and Alexis Rose are the argumentative, passive-aggressive sibling representation you never knew you were missing. Forced together by circumstance rather than choice, they express genuine love for each other as reluctantly and infrequently as possible. It's very true to life.

4. Fun family hijinks

The show's plot never gets too wacky, choosing instead to focus on mundane activities like trying to organize dinner parties or town events. This allows the character dynamics to shine, with episodes usually having more than a few heartfelt moments of resolution.

5. Quotable lines

Speaks for itself.

6. A great cast of supporting characters

Motel-owner Stevie, mayor Roland Schitt and wife Jocelyn, and Moira's choir group known as the "Jazzagals" round out the cast of recurring characters. Originally seeming to be a bunch of yokels from the town of Schitt's Creek, they are found to have surprising depth.

7. A+ LGBT representation

Self-describing as "into the wine, not the label," David is a rare instance of pansexual representation on television. In early seasons, he dated a female character on the show. Now, he's dating Patrick, resulting in romantic comedy-level scenes like the one above.

8. Season 4 was just added to Netflix

It's a great time to get on board. The first four seasons are available to stream on Netflix as of a few weeks ago, Season 5 starts in January, and there's a Christmas special coming in December.