Must Watch Netflix Documentaries for Fall 2016

From environmental causes to racial controversies, something that tickles your fancy is bound to be found in Netflix's offerings.

46
Inc Images

For most of us when we think of documentary, a particular movie comes to mind. Maybe you watched that movie in a classroom during your years of education or maybe you happened to fall upon it while browsing through your television channels. Regardless, this documentary and it's factual evidence given on a particular matter may have hit home, get emotional, or even become more passionate about the matter discussed.

Netflix has tons of documentaries offered for viewers to indulge in on their monthly subscription. From environmental causes to racial controversies, something that tickles your fancy is bound to be found in Netflix's offerings.

In this compilation of the six Netflix documentaries that are particularly relevant and necessary to be reviewed this fall season, you are bound to learn something. Hopefully, the viewer reviews will convince you of a particular film to view next.

1. 13th, (2016)

"Yet one of the staggering things this movie captures is how racism could be the driving force behind something as seismic as the rise of mass incarceration in America, yet that racism could remain in many ways “invisible.” So some people will be driven to say the racism isn’t there. But what they’re really saying is: It’s not a white people problem. A film as starkly humane as “13TH” makes you realize that it’s everyone’s problem." - Owen Gleiberman, Variety

2. Amanda Knox, (2016)

"The case against Knox and Sollecito should have been open and shut, but hysteria and the desire for a quick arrest made them easy targets. Amanda Knox serves as a corrective—a simple, brutal look at the dangers of hype, hysteria, and rushed prosecution." - Josh Modell, AV Club

3. Hot Girls Wanted, (2015)

"“Hot Girls Wanted” traces a narrative path from eager expectation to jaded cynicism — it’s the old Hollywood starlet story — as we learn that most of the women experience a compressed career of a few months in the “amateur” pornography field before being pushed aside by new arrivals. The scarier, even more callous side of the business appears in due course as the women sign on for niche videos to keep the checks coming in. It is, however, made clear that the work is still performance, distasteful and upsetting as it might be for the female performers." - Mike Hale, NY Times

4. Rolling Papers, (2015

"Rolling Papers doesn't draw too many conclusions, but instead offers insight and experience, without judgment, like a good piece of reporting." - Marty Mapes, Denver Post

5. Blackfish, (2013)

"One of the best animal documentaries to come out in the past couple of years is one that made huge waves (ha!) when it first premiered at Sundance and later arrived to Neflix. Blackfish is a devastating and enlightening portrait of what it means to keep an orca whale in captivity. The documentary looks at SeaWorld in particular, an organization that has argued for keeping these highly intelligent and sensitive creatures in captivity—despite the obvious consequences." - Ross Scarano, Complex

6. The Last Man On The Moon, (2014)

"The film traces Cernan's career trajectory, going back to his days in San Diego as a hot-shot naval aviator, blending terrific archival footage with contemporary perspectives to quietly poetic effect." - Micheal Rechtshaffen, Los Angeles Times

In conclusion, whether you're a college student or out of college living life, these six documentaries are sure to get your brain thinking and are bound to increase your knowledge about an issue worth knowing more information about it. Get Netflixing!