I Was A Student At Chalk Hill Middle School

A building that has a story

159
Patch

Ten years ago a little 10 year old girl was heading off to the world of middle school. This middle school started in fifth grade instead of sixth which might help explain it more. However, this was just ordinary middle school back in decade time and the little girl was start her life of the preteen nation in it.

The hallways were huge, anyone who was anyone could walk in them without becoming claustrophobic. Then again that’s what you would think when you’re short and ten years old walking in any building. All the staircases were the only places that were crowded since everyone was walking everywhere!

Classroom to classroom everyone smiled when they walked in. Teachers were extremely friendly and always wanted to help their fellow students in need no matter what the subject was. Chorus, Band or Strings, twice a year they would hold separate rehearsals in different parts of the school for their concerts the following week. Those teachers were all for the musical talent they were teaching the students.

The gym was huge! It even had extra space to put out items down and a rock wall to climb on. Our auditorium had desks were planted in like some bigger colleges have but was still used for fun activities when not a lecture hall. Lockers were skinny as tree branches but were fun to decorate for other people’s birthdays; thankfully locker ladders were invented for skinny lockers like those.

When most people see a Chalk Hill Middle School shirt on a person they think, “You went there?” Mostly because it was Sandy Hook Elementary School for 3 whole years and before that it closed in 2012. Now, it’s a building that’s closed all over again, back at square one waiting to know what will happen to it next.

The little girl that was ten, was me. This school started building who I was as person slowly but gradually. The award ceremonies every quarter, the different clubs and activities I was a part of, my grades and the people that actually took me seriously; everything listed started off how my mind was going to take everything in when I got older.

Now with that being the case, I can proudly say I was a student at Chalk Hill Middle School. A school that gave little children education in middle school and elementary school settings, a school that had staff members which had students go for them for everything they needed and a school that helped me learn how to grow up a little bit more each day.

Thank you Chalk Hill, for being my official first step of trying out life with a grain of salt. I cherish every memory I have there and haven’t forgotten about you. No matter what happens to you now, I still won’t forget you and I’m sure everyone else I know that went there hasn’t and won’t forget about you either.