I Was Fine Until You Showed Up

I Was Fine Until You Showed Up

Introverts From The Inside

22
I Was Fine Until You Showed Up

I'm writing this after a hellish day at my retail job where every and all customers want, need, and demand every ounce of my energy for hours on end until my shift ends. It's as if by the end of the day I am a well that's been drained dry of all motivation and physical, mental, and emotional energy. Needless to say, I'm a full-blown introvert. Often, people think that the word "introvert" is a synonym for "shy". From personal experience, I can say that is not the case. I went to college and got a degree in Communications and Media Studies with a minor in English. I can yap your ear off. However, that only happens when I find you interesting enough to engage in conversation. What follows is a listicle of common themes of introvert-hood. Enjoy.

People. Everywhere. All The Time.

Since there are 7.4 Billion people on planet Earth, there is bound to be interaction whether it's wanted or not. I for one, can go days without direct human contact. I like to observe people rather than speak to them. I like to get lost in my own head and let go of reality for a while. That's why going to highly populated places like the mall, a restaurant, or a party are not what I would call fun. I, like many introverts, don't like having to be "on" all the time. I like going on autopilot and not having to force myself into unnecessary conversation for the sake of filling the silence. Small talk is our kryptonite. Introverts are totally ok with silence in conversation. We usually only speak to people we find intriguing. Once we find someone interesting to talk with who sparks our passion, you can't shut us up!

Overstimulation.

As mentioned above, being in large social settings can be very disturbing to introverts. This is the hardest part of being an introvert. We're overstimulated through our five senses fairly easily. Overstimulation is what causes most introverts to have to find a quiet space to just collect our thoughts and take a breather. For example, I find if it's too loud due to too many voices, I become quite irritated. I noticed this at my current retail job. I'm cool as a cucumber when there are only a few customers in the store at a time. However, if there are fifteen people at a time with their screaming children, I nearly have a full-blown mental breakdown. Sometimes I can't deal and I have to sit alone in the restroom just to collect myself. I fantasize about turning around and telling everyone to be quiet until they leave the store. Alas, that is poor customer service so I cannot fulfill such fantasies. Being at the mall is quite the struggle as well. Too many people trying to sell you something, talking up a storm about nothing, or walking too slowly from point A to B. It's enough to drive even a non-intorvert crazy. I just came here to get some candles and a Starbucks from the food court, thanks.

The constant feeling of being invaded upon.

As mentioned before, introverts spend a good portion of their lives in their head. Sometimes, we like to stretch out legs and explore the outside world but we always return to our luxuries of our daydreams. Often when I'm in the middle of a task or just spacing out and someone comes to speak to me, I feel as if I'm being rudely interrupted. In all reality, that is not the case at all, someone just needs to talk to me. However, I feel as if I'm forever being interrupted, invaded upon, or otherwise disturbed. How I dread the friendly stranger who starts a conversation with me. Small talk is agony. I'm not bugging you, why are bugging me? Why can't I just be left alone to my thoughts?

Friends.

I will be the first to say how blessed I am to have the friends that I do. I will also be the first to complain about how much they're in my face (which isn't that much these days. Dare I say, I borderline miss it). I love my friends because they love me for who I am and what I have to offer to this world. I've never felt more accepted by anyone than by my friends from college. They're my true loves. Sadly, sometimes being even with my closest friends is daunting. A simple shopping trip that was supposed to take twenty minutes turns into a three hour adventure. I usually don't have the energy to keep up. I often wish I'd packed a snack, haha. In concert with this aspect of friendship from the introvert perspective, having "low-maintence" friendships are the best. Days, weeks, months, and even a year can go by without any contact yet as soon as I hear from you, it's like no time has passed at all. And if we make plans to get together, (gasp), it's a no pressure thing. And if we cancel last minute, no hard feelings, I didn't feel up to it anyway.

Constantly feeling drained.

Being around people all day long is draining for anyone. However, for introverts, it's twice as bad. We tend to need some time to recover from socializing with people we DO like, never mind socializing with people we don't like. We have to psych ourselves up to go out, especially after a day of work. On a Saturday night, you'll find us on the couch, in our bed, either reading a book or watching a movie. Usually we're kept company by our favorite cup of tea or pet. That's one of the parts of being an introvert that drives me over the edge. I wish I didn't get constantly drained by human interaction. Going to parties is my worst nightmare. It's too loud, it's too bright, I'd rather be at home in my pjs, and who is this stranger trying to talk to me?! As mentioned before, introverts need to take little breaks from socializing to recharge their batteries. So don't be alarmed if you find your introvert friend(s) hanging out in a dimly lit part of the house, alone, or with the house pet. That's just our way of saving ourselves from a breakdown or being perceived as rude by other people. Honestly, it's not uncommon for introverted people to become absent in other parts of this 21st century life. Sometimes we quit social media for a few days and don't tell people where we are or what we're doing. Many introverts are fiercely independent, sometimes we have to indulge in our independence and get away from modern society. Our "good time" is a few quiet nights at home, or a long walk through the woods, or settling down into a good book. We are our own best company.

Don't You Suffer From Introversion?

The short answer: no. Why? Because it's how I've been my entire life. It's a part of who I am and how I am received by the world. Being an introvert who is independent, I often get asked the question, "Don't you get lonely?" My answer to this question is this: No, I don't get lonely because I spend my alone time doing things that I feel are important. I surround myself with the select few people I love, I am involved with activities that I enjoy, and I'm quite content with sitting down and just being quiet for a while in an all too loud world. Being constantly surrounded by people is a version of Hell to me (that and being cold). I think that's a statement that many fellow introverts can agree upon ( together yet separately, from the comfort of their blanket cocoons). I tend to poke fun at my introverted ways, my tendency to say, "I hate people", my overreaction to everyday stimuli, and my ridiculous contentment in being left alone. If you are an introvert, celebrate it, ride with it, and learn to live with it. And if you're not an introvert, I hope this listicle helped lift the mystery of some of the quirks of the introvert(s) in your life.

Take care. Much love.