A Few Warnings For Incoming GCU Freshmen

College can be crazy, but GCU is different topic entirely...

149
GCU

Alright guys, some of you may have heard about the craziness of Grand Canyon University and as a returning senior at GCU I've got some news for you...it is even crazier than you think.

To better prepare you for the Lope life, I have compiled a few warnings. Be sure to read carefully as it's important that you do not miss a single point.

First off, from the moment the first moment that you drive onto campus, be prepared because you WILL be bombarded by tons on excited and cheerful lopes who have literally volunteered to move in early JUST to move you in. Why? Because they love Lope life and want you to love it too. Crazy. I know. And it doesn't stop there.

Second, when you pull up to your assigned living area, your car will be surrounded by even MORE lopes who WILL open your car and take ALL of your things up to your room for you. Yeah, you heard me right. They take your stuff up to your room FOR YOU so YOU do not have to. I know I know, it seems unreal, but I promise you will be thanking God for this later, (I am talking to you people living on the 6th floor.)

Third, after having all your stuff taken to your room you will be treated by our Resident Advisor. Okay, before you start freaking out thinking that there are "police" living on your hall, breathe for a second and hear this. Your resident advisors are SO excited to have you on campus. So much so, they devoted an entire three weeks of their summer to move out to Arizona to be trained on how to be the best R.A. possible. Why? Because they WANT to be here and they are doing it for YOU. Do not be surprised if they are smiling super big, jumping for joy from the moment they see you, and actually pursue you and your heart this year because they want to get to know you. Shocking, I know, but trust me, they want to know you.

Fourth, expect a lot of purple. You see, we lopes are very proud of our school and what we stand for and we want the world to know that we are not ashamed. Be prepared for free stuff with lots of purple because there is no way we are not going to involve you in the fun. Also, if you have not heard about the Havocs, welp, you are going to learn fast because they are the leaders in spirit and hype on campus. So much so that they paint their entire bodies in purple paint, wear random (and seriously awesome) costumes while eating various fruits on live T.V. at basketball games (YouTube "the GCU fruit guy", you will thank me later). These guys are seriously the life of campus. If you want to know more of what I mean, go to a basketball game. I promise you WILL NOT regret it.

Fifth. Probably one of my favorite things about GCU are the individuals called Life Leaders. You will have one on your hall and they are there to talk to you but in the best way possible. They also moved out early with the R.A.'s to be trained in how to mentor and help push you to be the best person you can be with Jesus Christ. Trust me, if you ever want to know more about Jesus, feel heard and valued, or just need a shoulder to cry on, PLEASE go to these guys. You will not be disappointed because they are literally there because they love Jesus so much and they want to make sure that you always know how valued and cherished you are to all of us leaders on campus, AND most importantly, to Jesus Christ.

Sixth. Some of the most devoted and dedicated minds have been hand selected and gathered onto teams called ASGCU and CAB. What's their purpose? ASGCU makes sure your voices are heard and CAB plans some of the most AWESOME events for you to experience this year. You are going to want to go to Lip Sync and Mr. GCU, because they're hilarious, fun, and just an all around good time. ASGCU is lead by some of the most passionate and dedicated students who want to make sure that your experience at GCU is purposeful and life changing in the best way possible. Again, I know this is a lot to process but let me break it down for you...YOU ARE VALUED.

Seventh. Ya like sports? Ya like the outdoors? Feeling called to do some ministry. Well, do I have news for you. GCU has made sure to create groups like Outdoor Recreation and LOGOS,(local outreach and global outreach) that provide these opportunities for YOU. Outdoor recreation is in charge of things like Intramural sports and outdoor activities like hiking Grand Canyon trips to ensure that you experience all the beauty that Arizona has to offer. LOGO's provides opportunities for you to get involved in local ministry (Canyon kids, homeless shelters, etc.) and global ministries to different countries where you can take your love for Jesus and people to new heights. I know, it is CRAZY that this is even an option for you, but guess what, IT IS!

Eighth. GCU has ONE OF THE BEST worship teams ever. Like ever. Am I bias? Maybe. But for real. This is an amazing body of students who love Jesus and love worshipping God with hearts and minds wide open and hey, they want to do that WITH YOU! Trust me, you are going to want to go to Chapel and the Gathering (which is one of my personal favorites). The spirit moves through these students in an almost unexplainable way and if you want to know what I am talking about, well, GO TO CHAPEL AND THE GATHERING.

Ninth. So I bet you have heard about how much lopes love Jesus and, if you have not, well you will definitely learn that quickly as both students and leaders are not afraid or ashamed to show that. Do not be afraid though, they are not there to shove Jesus in your face in some sort of aggressive manner or to guilt you into choosing a life that you may not be fully comfortable with but I just want you to let them in, if you allow them, they will pursue your heart and show you a love for life that you may have never experienced. They want to know you. They want to be there for you. They want you to know that there is a love out there that you do not have to earn. It is freely given.

And lastly, if you want to truly get the full experience as a GCU Lope, there is ONE thing you have to do and that is this...be yourself. I know it sounds cliche, but it is honestly the best thing you can do. Trust me, I have been doing Lope life for going on four years now and being unashamedly myself has helped me to develop friendships that I know are going to last me a lifetime, experiences that have helped me to grow in ways and areas I did not imagine possible, and have helped me to be honest with myself and ask for help when I needed it and to trust grasp what the love of Jesus means. If it is not obvious by now, I absolutely love being a Lope and coming to GCU and the fact that this is my last year is so bittersweet, but I want you guys to be able to have a memorable and purposeful time at GCU. Yes, I know the title of this article may have been misleading, BUT it got your attention and, after reading this article, I am confident that you now have a better idea of what to expect when you get here. I am currently an RA this year and have been training to be the best leader I can be for you guys and, after meeting so many leaders and knowing so many different and amazing students, I can confidently say that we are SO excited for you to be here and to join it Lope family.

Welcome to the Lope family my friends, we are so happy you are joining us.