'Warcraft' Movie Review

'Warcraft' Movie Review

Does this movie live up to the game it is based on?

13
'Warcraft' Movie Review
Twitter/WarcraftMovie

I'm someone who has not come into contact with Blizzard’s wildly successful MMORPG "World of Warcraft." My experience with this movie is a person who is knowledgeable of fantasy tropes, but completely noobish when it comes to anything "World of Warcraft" related. For a person like me, this movie is worth seeing but I would not go out of my way to watch it again.

The costumes by far are the things that had me the most immersed in the movie. All of the armor for the knights and orcs appear straight out of the RPG that the movie is named after. The human knight’s armors are pristine and bulky. The orcs appeared beastly and had their intimidating sizes shown off to great effect. One of the main characters who was half orc looked the most realistic of them all. She still kept some of the beastly qualities that the orcs have with her teeth and her green skin but also kept the beauty that human females have.

The action is another stand out point as well. All of the sound effects in the movie made every blade, hammer and shield sound like it left an actual impact. I found myself wincing at each attack made in the movie. The magic was also fantastically shown. Each spell looked vibrant and colorful. So full of life even though it was taking them.

Then there are the characters, which I could not recall at all. The characters are not interesting and I feel like I know as much of them as I did before I watched the movie. Their interactions between each other felt heartless during the supposed emotional scenes. I could not believe that some of the cast were actually in danger or feeling a certain emotion because the actors did not portray those feelings well. The dialogue for those scenes felt dry as well. Only a few scenes had me going but that was mostly due to the gritty action. Because I could not care for the characters, the scenes other than the action scenes felt boring to watch. It was as if they made sure to show this character's back story and these two characters talking, but not in an interesting, funny or even dramatic way.

I would recommend seeing this movie if you love fantasy, if you love action and if you love "World of Warcraft." I would love to see more of this franchise and all of its races, kingdoms and magic. However, this movie fits a very niche crowd and because of that most people would not enjoy sitting through the boring scenes just to see a few minutes of action. If you don’t fit the criteria I mentioned above, then I do not recommend watching this movie