Here's Why I Don't Believe You Really 'Don't Want To Take Our Guns'

The debate on gun control is uninformed.

269
Jason Reed

Every second amendment support has heard this quote in every debate about firearms they have ever had. How true is it? Anti-gunners, as they are referred to in much of the pro-second amendment and conservative media, use this line almost annoyingly too much. Constantly saying they do not want to take our guns away just “make stricter gun laws.” What does that even mean?

When someone tells you, they don’t want to take your guns away, it means they don’t want to yet. They are just trying to change the perspective about guns to people, so they can slowly erode your rights away one stricter background check and black rifle ban at a time. The second amendment is the only bill of rights that says “…shall not be infringed.” What does that mean you might ask, that it is the only right that is supposed to never be taken away or restricted from the people. Yet it is the one that is the most restricted and infringed.

The thing that will drive a second amendment supporter crazy is that the people who want stricter gun laws do not understand the laws or even firearms in general. How can someone be so for or against something they do not even understand? It does not make any sense before you go and argue something why not do some research and educate yourself on the matter?

They want stricter background checks however never filled out a 4473. A 4473 is the background check form you fill out when trying to purchase a firearm. Do not even know that someone who has been convicted of a felony, has a past of domestic violence, or have been adjudicated for mental health will make them not eligible to purchase a gun and the list goes on. They have already made it very difficult for many people to buy a firearm legally. What will a new form of background check even do? Will it just restrict law abiding citizens even more?

There is also this really weird “assault weapons” ban thing that does not make any sense. The fact that there is an argument to band something that has been banned since 1986 just shows how uninformed people have become today. That doesn’t even take the cake. What does is the fact that they don’t even understand what an assault weapon is. People honestly think that the AR-15 is an assault weapon. It is not, plain and simple. There is no select fire function or fully automatic capability. It may be the basis of the United States Military M16 and M4 but that is exactly what it is just the basis. It is a standard .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle. It actually falls under the class of modern sporting rifle. Just because it is black and plastic doesn’t mean it is an assault rifle. Just in case there is any question AR stands for Armalite, the company that originally came up with the design for the rifle. Another point that shows the lack of education is the term “fully semi-automatic.” That is the most contradicting form of words on this earth. What is a “fully semi-automatic” rifle? Well for starters it doesn’t exist or makes sense. It is impossible for something to be “fully semi-automatic,” which one is it full or semi? Someone who has been in the public eye and is uneducated didn’t know what they were talking about someday made it up to make the firearms sound scary.

The mainstream media likes to push that the AR "is a mass shooters weapon of choice." In the twenty-six deadliest mass shootings since 1949 in America, there have only been six cases where any semi-automatic rifle was used. That is any semi-automatic, not just an AR-15. This is one of the basis that this "assault weapons" ban comes from and it is actually factually flawed. Where is the logic here?

This all also falls under the common-sense gun reform. Where there is absolutely no common sense. We are going to ban something with no factual evidence. Common sense. We are going to make it harder for criminals to buy guns by making more background checks and making a person apply for a permit to purchase a firearm, but criminals already do not follow laws. Common sense. It is also common sense to end the "gun show loophole." There is no gun show loophole. Gun shows follow the same exact laws has a standard gun store and FFL standards.

People also like to compare the “gun problem” in the united states to other countries. Well for starters we do not have a gun problem actually violent crime has been on the decline for years. It was even proven that all the laws placed by the Clinton administration had little to no effect on crime rates in America. One of the biggest arguments is the fact that Australia recently created stricter gun laws basically creating a gun ban and buyback program. the agreement is that the suicide and homicide rates have dropped.

They don’t tell you that manslaughter, sexual assault, kidnapping, armed robbery, and unarmed robbery all saw peaks in the years following the ban or that it was a steady decline before and after the new laws were created and the rate of decline of homicide and suicide did not change. There is a gun ban in England as well and the murder rate in London just passed New York City for the first time since 1800. The two cities are almost identical in population. New York does have very strict guns laws, but London has no guns the police don’t even have them. Just to add it in there the mayor of London is trying to ban knives. What? In the United States, two cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest murder rates being New York, Baltimore, and Chicago.

The gun control debate is so flawed and will never go away until either they completely ban or until they are unrestricted all together. This article only covers the surface of the flaws that are in the debate and only hits minor points of those flaws. This article could be five times as long and go in to such detail it will even bore the biggest of gun supporters. I just hope that someone reads this and decides to do some research and find out the facts of the debate on there own and hopefully sees the flaws with in it and takes those into consideration. Maybe it will even change their mind on the whole thing.