starting a family

This May Be An Unpopular Opinion, But I Can’t Wait To Be Married And Have Children

Call me crazy, but I love babies and everything to do with having a family.

26
Gail Beriswill

I have always been the person that, when I was younger, I wanted to have the ideal family. I wanted two kids, one boy, and one girl. I wanted my daughter to be a spitting image of me, a mini-me if you will. I thought she would be the cheerleading star with the best attitude. I wanted my son to be my husband's mini-me. I wanted him to be a football star and a ladies' man.

I had my little family envisioned in my head since I was young, and I could portray it through my Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets. Now that I'm older, the thought of me having a baby is becoming more real since many girls that I knew in high school are already starting their families. I'm 19, so the girls my age are even having little babies. I'm also talking about girls who are, at most, three years older than me. I know I am in college and getting an education for my dream job, but I love the thought of settling down and having little ones.

Now just to be clear, this is not me saying that I am ready to be a mother and that I am going to drop out of school. I am just so excited to be at the point in my life where I can make that big of a decision and I will be ready for it. It might sound crazy that I want this life for myself already because all of my friends say I'm "wishing my college years away" and that "this is the best 4 years of our lives". To put it in perspective, there are those types of people who say college is the best 4 years because we are young and can do whatever we want. On the other hand, there are people like me who enjoy college but would be happy in the next stage of life as well. I am not wishing my college years away, I am simply ready to start my life. And that is OKAY. You do not have to think the same of college as other people do. I am one of those girls who watch "Four Weddings" and "Say Yes to the Dress" religiously and envying those women for being able to get their dream wedding dress. Everything about being engaged, planning a wedding, and starting life sounds so fun and I can't say it enough, but I can't wait for that day. So call me crazy all you want, but I am so excited to have a mini-me.

They're called unpopular opinions for a reason, not everyone will agree. To those of you who think I'm a lunatic, sorry not sorry. I am looking forward to my next stage in life. For those of you who agree, thank you for making me feel less crazy than this article is making me out to be. We all want things in life, and for me, it's to start my family and be a successful wife and mother.