My Walk Through New York City

My Walk Through New York City

The joys, the favorites, and, most importantly, the eats.

7
My Walk Through New York City
Sarah Zobrist

New York City is home to over 20 million people and is composed of five boroughs; Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Staten Island. New York has so much to offer, such as, Times Square, Central Park, skyscrapers, shopping, restaurants, Little Italy & China Town, businesses, districts, and so much more. Take a little walk away from the city and enter another country to experience food, culture, gift shops, and much more. Little Italy and China Town are two very well known ethnic enclaves that belong in New York City, as well as other cities in the United States. These two neighborhoods attract tourists every day, and even though they may be two different continents they are right down the street from one another. Who wouldn’t love to experience the Italian food and gelato from Little Italy, or the fresh meat and knock off goods from Chinatown? The Big Apple has so much to offer for any ethnicity.

For those of you who know me are well aware that my obsession with New York City all began with Gossip Girl. Last Spring, I made my first (hopefully not last) voyage throughout the City. The Upper East Side was everything I could have imagined, and more. As a woman, I personally think that Gossip Girl has a lot to learn from. Blaire Waldorf’s character is my favorite by far. She is spoiled, rude, loves revenge, has a great sense of fashion, and she always embraces her crave for higher power; and yet, she remains classy and elegant. Throughout my journey in the city I began noticing more and more sights that I had seen in GG. One day, I got to visit Central Park, sit on the met steps, and my favorite, visit Ladure’e Madison where Blaire Waldorf frequently got her macaroons.

My next favorite exhibition was Madison Square Garden for the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Then, Serendipity. The frozen hot chocolate, which is their speciality, is absolutely phenomenal and the food is great. For those reading this that have seen the movie Serendipity, it is even more astonishing in person. If you have not seen the movie, I highly recommend watching it, and visiting the restaurant you will not regret it.

Walking through the streets of New York City gave me a sense of feeling of empowerment. I felt as if I could do anything there, or be anyone I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, it is a whole other world there, but to me it is truly miraculous. Gossip Girl may have been seen as a damaging drama tv show, but to the Blair Waldorf fans it is much more than that. I absolutely loved visiting the City, and I would strongly persuade anyone to see the beautiful streets of NYC and venture out of your comfort zone. As gossip girl would end..."Sometimes you need to step outside, clear your head and remind yourself of who you are. And where you wanna be. And sometimes you have to venture outside your world in order to find yourself. As for me, I'm happy right where I am. I only wanna be with you. xoxo . . . Gossip Girl"