VR Lounge opening near DePaul, Lincoln Park, Chicago

A New VR Experience Is Coming To Lincoln Park, Here's What The Owner Wants You To Know

And I interviewed the business owner.

215

Over the last couple of years, VR (virtual reality) and AR (augmented reality) have received a lot of potential for use within the medical, educational, and entertainment sectors. Of the various VR lounges across the city, I got to sit down with the owner of the newest one - Antropod VR, and talk to him about how he identified a gap in currently offered VR services, and how he aims to fulfill it, all while keeping his alma mater, DePaul University, at the center of his customer base.

Who is AnthroPodVR?

AnthroPod is a combination of two terms - anthropology: the study of human societies and cultures, and their development, and pod: A self contained unit on a vessel that has a particular function. We believe the humanity of the tech should serve as the center of virtual reality. Our future development, interactions, and growth are all significantly influenced by virtual reality, as the vessel of this exciting new future. Our name keeps us focused on this goal: a consistent effort to focus on how VR experiences help to improve the development of people, to study this, and to continue to find ways to improve it.

How did you get your idea or concept for the business?

When Oculus first revealed their DK1, their initial developer kit for VR. I tried a space simulation title that simulated the participant as an astronaut at the ISS. A few minutes into this experience, the challenge of a low oxygen tank occurs, and [you] need to navigate to the other end of the space station. With the deafening sound of absent space and a slow realization that I miscalculated my trajectory, I began to realize that I was floating into the darkness of space and would be doing so forever. This evoked a sense of fear and horror that I had never experienced in any space movie I'd seen. VR doesn't just put you in a first person perspective, it tricks your mind into thinking that you are the person. After experiencing this as well as other significantly useful simulations, education apps, and 3D design software, I've been enamored with the technology and its prospects for the future ever since.

How will this impact current DePaul students?

DePaul students will now have access to the disruptive technology of VR to augment their learning and development, alongside the entertainment factor. At AnthroPod VR, we have numerous titles to correlate with offered education consulting services for learning various scientific subjects, such as anatomy and basic neurology, alongside creative software for 3D artistic projects using VR.

In addition to that, we have the ability to export these design projects in a file format that can be 3D printed in DePaul's newly opened Idea Realization Lab. We believe that DePaul students can improve their learning and educational development by augmenting their learning with VR. We also have numerous entertainment titles that are simply a blast to play on an evening out with your closest friends.

What service(s) or product(s) do you offer? How does this give you a competitive advantage?

We offer services ranging from basic reservations, accommodating up to 5 users. People can do anything in VR ranging from being a space pirate facing hordes of AI drones, touring the milky way galaxy, or creating abstract 3D work. As noted prior, we also give our DePaul customers the files needed to actually print these 3D projects at the IRL and own their virtual creation in real life. This is a feature that none of our competitors currently offer.

We also offer dedicated event scheduling and reservations for clubs, organizations, and other groups. All of our tech, software, and our space in its entirety, are exclusively reserved for the customer during this reservation.

In terms of software development, we offer VR services for companies such as real estate developers and architecture firms looking to use it to improve their business operations. An example would be to minimize significant costs related to having to redesign or rebuild projects due to subtle differences between concept and completion of its physical representation in real space. As a DePaul alumni, I also realize there are various students working on numerous VR titles as well as 3D design projects, so we offer the opportunity to have their VR art, and developed VR titles to be showcased to the public using our space as that outlet.

Will DePaul Students be able to apply for employment or discounts?

Yes, DePaul students will be eligible for discounts and will soon be able to apply for employment on our webpage AnthroPodVR.com. For more information about this, people can email us at info@anthropodvr.com

What made you choose this type of business?

I had been intrigued in starting this business ever since I was initially exposed to VR. However I chose this type of business because I felt that I had the right combination of knowledge of the industry, management skills, and a vision for the technology and its prospects going forward. Virtual reality, along with augmented reality, have wide ranging sets of use cases in industries and institutions ranging from education, creative development, and all kinds of businesses. Anyone not engaging with AR (augmented reality) or VR, are missing the significance of a future multi-billion dollar industry.

What areas do you predict the future of this business to grow within?

At the moment, we are focused on businesses, students, enthusiasts, and everyone in the Lincoln Park area. However, we are also completing the building of a division for AR software development services. This is focused on businesses and institutions looking to incorporate AR into their operations and business offerings. In addition to this, as a former CPS student, I hope to build a relationship with Chicago Public Schools. We hope to help them incorporate AR and VR into their education methodologies.

How did you get the background and skills necessary to run this type of business?

As a chemistry graduate, I noticed that many classmates struggled with organic chemistry. This was mostly due to those pesky isomers, which are essentially everywhere. Isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula, but with different bonded orientations in 3D space. You can have a mirror image of a molecule, its enantiomer by definition, and it could have drastically different reactions in certain environments! Confusing right?

Students struggled picturing molecules in various isomeric forms, and how they end up affecting the resulting products in organic reactions. Seeing this gap, I led the project of creating a VR education app. The app was aimed at putting organic molecules and their isomers in a VR 3D environment that they could see, interact with using their own hands, and compare with other molecules. This would increase the foundational understanding of isomers, as well as how they affect certain types of reactions. We gained a lot of experience from this project. In addition to this, some of our developers have created multiple VR applications and have a high level of understanding of what works in VR and what doesn't.

If you had one piece of advice to someone just starting out, what would it be?

I'd tell them all the same three things: Be focused, do it in love, and have a strong conviction. Focus is required because doing anything difficult requires a strong sense of focus in order to succeed. Love is probably the most important because I truly believe it is the strongest force there is. Doing something because you love it won't only make you happy while doing it, but it will also eventually make you great at it, precisely because you love doing it so much! That intense love will light a passion within you that is a source of energy in and within itself. Conviction, is also very important in the world we live in today. There are always going to be hardships and doubt, but if you have conviction in your ability to succeed in achieving your goal, it goes a long way in pushing you through any roadblocks that may come your way.

Is there anything else you would want potential customers to know?

I'd like potential customers to know that we are a company that is passionate and driven about AR & VR. We have a vision for how this new technology could be used to augment and improve our customers' educational abilities, our client's businesses, everyone's overall entertainment, and so much more! Plus, it's so cool to experience, and when you do you'll be hooked! We have a projected launch date of September 1st, 2018 at 2505 N. Lincoln. Bookings are already available online at AnthroPodVR.com. For prospective clients, or anyone excited about our business and would like to become either a sponsor, investor, or partner, we welcome you to email us at info@anthropodvr.com We hope to see you there!

Visit Anthropod VR, opening up at 2501 North Lincoln Avenue Chicago, IL, 60614, right around the corner from DePaul!