Vox Artium Winterguard Competes At WGI Finals

155
Vox Artium Winterguard

Performing in front of thousands of people, bright lights, music paired with artistry, heartfelt emotion — these are all elements that helped create an exciting and surreal experience for the Vox Artium Winterguard from San Diego, California and many other groups of high caliber that competed at Winter Guard International Championships (WGI).

The group received an opportunity to perform at WGI finals, a moment many color guards dream of experiencing. The championships took place in Dayton, Ohio from April 7-9 and the guard advanced to finals for the first time since it formed in 2012. Vox took second in prelims, ninth in semi-finals, and remained in ninth place for the Independent Open class finals with a final score of 89.20.

Ben Contreras has served as the head director and choreographer for Vox Artium for five years since it began in 2012. The group first competed in the Independent World class but moved to the Independent Open class the following year in 2013. Other instructors include Sarah Abdulal, Estephanie Vitela, and Theo Ivey. Contreras attributes the guard's success this season to a high level of focus and dedication.

"This year's guard has been the most focused and determined guard we've had," Contreras said.

This year's show was titled "Maybe I...," and Contreras said it focuses on feelings resulting from loss.

"Maybe I..." Is about reflection on a lost relationship, be it a break-up or someone passing away.

Vox members resonated with this year's show and expressed their thoughts.

"The show is about losing someone dear to you, someone who you were never able to clear things with before they passed," Ivan Flores said.

Flores has competed in color guard for five years and marched Vox one season on the sabre and rifle lines. He connected with the show's theme this year because he lost his grandmother to leukemia a few years ago. Flores described how he experienced regret because he did not grieve her death like he thought he should have.

"It hit me hard, once we knew it was about losing some one and how we never took the chance to patch things up with them gave my spot at Vox a meaning. I performed at WGI Finals with my late grandmother in mind, " Flores said.

He said he was finally able to grieve his grandmother's death and performed this year's show with genuine emotion.

"The show is about losing someone dear to you, someone who you were never able to clear things with before they passed," Flores said. "The emotion was raw, genuine. I was finally able to mourn the loss of my grandmother through this show."

In addition, Flores expressed how these feelings made it difficult to perform the show because he had to concentrate on technique while expressing emotion.

"I never performed a show where my true emotions came out. I had to stabilize myself and my abilities. If I gave too much emotion my abilities would falter. If I focused solely on my abilities no emotions would show. It was a tricky situation balancing the two," Flores said.

Alexa Wotus has performed for five years and marched Vox for two seasons as a member of the flag line. Wotus said each member selected three words at the beginning of the season describing how the show related to them personally. One of her words was disappointment, which related to her feelings that arose after she did not make the sabre line despite practicing many hours over the summer.

"All summer long, I practiced sabre pretty much everyday and when I didn't make the line, I was pretty upset with myself and questioned what could I have done better," Wotus said.

She was not confident how the season would turn out at the beginning, but said the guard's hard work paid off.

"I had a lot of doubts about myself — 'would I ever get this correct?' — but I kept pushing myself all season," Wotus said. "When [I was] tired at rehearsals, I'd constantly say to myself 'WGI finals, WGI finals, this is our year'. I'd find a source of motivation and it payed off."

The team meshed well this year and formed stronger bonds than previous seasons. Wotus said she enjoyed connecting with her fellow teammates and discovering more about each individual's unique stories.

"I've learned things about them that made me realize we all have different stories besides Colorguard and it's been so nice to be able to learn that about them," Wotus said.

Flores also enjoyed getting to know each team member individually. In addition, he mentioned how these connections and stories fostered team unity and a high level of morale across the ensemble.

"We each have our own individual stories and backgrounds and once we all came together — we worked harder and as a whole," Flores said.

Wotus' most cherished memory of the season was experiencing the full retreat awards ceremony at WGI finals and laying in the confetti scattered along the Dayton Arena floor.

"The best part of this season was finally getting to lay in the confetti at retreat and think about nothing except how happy I was at that moment," Wotus said.

In addition, Wotus described how competing at finals was a very exciting and magical experience.

"I remember towards the middle of the flag feature thinking, 'I don't want this to end,' Wotus said. " I remember being so happy inside that we finally made it and Vox is performing on the famous UD arena floor. It all felt like a dream to me."

Flores also shared how the experience felt surreal.

"Knowing that I performed where all the greats once performed before me is a dream come true, Flores said.

The guard has not only demonstrated success in WGI but also in the other circuit they compete in, Winter Guard of Southern California (WGASC), and has earned five consecutive first place awards. In addition, their score improved 13 points between their first competition at Carlsbad High School on Feb. 27 and the most recent performance at San Marcos High School on April 2. The guard closed out the season on April 17 with a final performance at the WGASC Championships held at the University of Irvine, California Bren Events Center, earning the title of Independent Open Class Champion and gold medals for the entire team.