Your Vote

Your Vote

Just remember that your vote always counts

11
Your Vote

Your vote matters.

Until high school, these words had no meaning. In elementary school, the teacher repeats the importance of everyone contributing. The whole class is then forced to put their heads down on the table, close their eyes, and anonymously raise their hand for their desired preference. In middle school democracy is continually brought up in history classes while enforcing ideas of American superiority. Yet at that age, there is not very many opportunities to exercise this freedom.

It was in my freshman year of high school that these words, ‘your vote matters’ actually took meaning.

In my old public high school, there are huge portraits created for every class then hung in the the entryway for everyone to see. The class photos on the wall are comprised of each student’s standard photo that was taken during orientation. Similar to the layout of a yearbook, the senior, junior, and sophomore classes each had their own class portrait on the wall. In the middle of each portrait a space was created to include the graduation year along with the class’s quote. The quotes were usually very lyrical and spoke about the beauty of the future or necessity and joy of learning. Each class, during their freshman year, got to vote for the quote that would follow them for all four years of their high school experience. The quote would be hung on that wall and printed in the yearbook. The quote was a hallmark sticker for that class.

Mid-school year, the time came for my freshman class of around four hundred students to vote for our distinguished quote. Anyone could submit a quote, and while the quote could be about anything, it was encouraged to use the quote to unite our class by trying to encompass our entire class’s dynamics and beliefs within the quote. The final ballot included quotes that were typical class quotes that were imaginable up on the wall. They included poetic reminders about living in the moment, others sang about not giving up on hopes and aspirations, and a few talked about living life to the fullest. Standard, cheesey quotes one would expect to read in a yearbook. Except for one. One of the suggested quotes was “get ‘er done”.

Out of line from what was expected, “get ‘er done” became widely popular. People laughed when they saw it on the ballot, questioning whether it was a serious option or not. In my English class where we were voting, I remember hearing guys across the classroom promising their vote to “get ‘er done” because obviously the majority of people would not vote for this absurd quote. It was funny to say they voted for that quote just because they thought others would be smart enough to choose one of the other more appropriate but standard quotes.

A few weeks later the votes came in and the laughter stopped, “get ‘er done” was our class quote. The boys in my English drew silent as the announcement went over and all throughout the school that day students questioned each other about who could have seriously voted for that quote. But it turned out the majority of students did.

Before the presidential election, the outcome looked certain to be in favor for Clinton. While she did in the end win the popular vote by well over 2.5 million, there was the initial shock on election night of the votes coming in for Trump. Many had notpredicted even that high a number of votes for Trump.

The electoral college currently may cause us to question the weight our vote actually has. But every vote does matter. In the Senate and House race, and movements now to address the electoral college in order to ensure the protection of our vote.

It may be easier to think others will vote in our favor and it will all turn out alright, but each and every vote does count.

Just remember, your vote counts.