Vote With Your Heart, Not With Your Party

It is your right to use your vote however you please.

104
biggestquestions.com

There is a lot of anger in America right now. With the upcoming presidential election, America has become divided into what appears to be three major factions. There's the Trump supporters who are angry at Hillary Clinton supporters because of how much they hate Hillary. There are Clinton supporters who are angry at Trump supporters because of how much they hate Trump. And then there's everyone else, who're angry at everyone, and angry because they're constantly being told they have to vote for one of those people.

I think I fall into that third group.

I use the word "think" because I am not very opinionated. I don't really go on Facebook and "try to make a difference." In fact, I tend to unfollow any of my friends who are like that at all, at least until the election is over. I will say that I do have my opinions, but usually they take so much explaining that I don't think the one person I may win over is worth the effort I put in to winning them. So I remain quiet.

But then sometimes opinions make me angry. And all of a sudden I'm in that third group.

Many people on social media are saying that those who would rather vote for someone like Gary Johnson, who more closely acknowledges their beliefs, need to "grow up" and make their vote actually count. They say "yeah we're stuck with these two but if you want to make a difference, you need to vote for someone from the two-party system. Specifically Hillary Clinton."

Yeah I said it.

Look, I'm going to remain politically anonymous for this article, but most of the arguments I have heard about "growing up" come from the liberal side of things. And I understand why. Many people on the left view Donald Trump as a disastrous candidate, and they want all the Bernie Sanders supporters to pack up their things and vote for Clinton and deal with what they would call the lesser of the two evils.

I am not at all a fan of this line of thinking.

I've maintained for a very long time that the two-party system is broken, and that having political parties at all makes not a lot of sense to me. We should not try to find the two people who have the most opinions that coincide to their party, rather we should try to find the two people who seem best equipped to serve their country. This just seems like common sense to me, but for some reason this is an argument that many people maintain, but never really gain any ground on.

It's because people are shaming them for "wasting their vote."

If you believe that the best candidate is Donald Trump, vote for Donald Trump. If you believe that the best candidate is Hillary Clinton, vote for Hilary Clinton. If you believe that it's a third-party candidate such as Gary Johnson or Dr. Jill Stein, then vote for them with pride. And here's the kicker: If you don't think that any of these candidates deserve your vote, then don't vote.

You have the right to vote, not the obligation. You have the right to decide for yourself whether or not a candidate has done his or her job and earned your vote. You are not obligated to vote for the party you tend to support (or that your parents support) simply because you're expected to.

Because you shouldn't be expected to.

Presidential candidates should be expected to win you. They should be expected to do their very best to promise a better America to as many people as possible, and that is how they are supposed to win. If you have been failed by the election process, then it is not your fault if you make a decision not to vote for someone who has in no way earned it.

It's an old school way of thinking and it has got to go. If you don't believe that you've been treated fairly, than do whatever you feel is necessary, and maybe it'll make a difference.