A Thank You To The Teacher Who Helped Shape Who I Am Today

Thank You, Del.
146

A day or two ago, I was reminded that it’s Teacher Appreciation Week. The fact that there’s a week devoted to teachers make me extremely happy as a student. Throughout my twelve years of public schooling, I’ve been taught by several teachers who have impacted me greatly— teachers who have molded and impacted me in ways that they don't even realize.

Before college, in the days of 9-12th grade, I was exposed to a variety of teachers who influenced me in compelling ways... But when I take a look at all my years, one teacher specifically comes to mind: Mr. DelPrato.

Del is a figure known by all at Penncrest High School. From his humor to his teaching style, he is appreciated by an enormous number of students— even those students whom he’s never taught.

I had the privilege of being taught Biology by Del in 12th grade, and my brother had the same privilege just last year, during his sophomore year at Penncrest.

Once you get to college, the past four years seem like a bit of a blur, but I think it’s important to reflect on what got you there.

Let’s appreciate our teachers, this week and always. Even those whom we did not connect closely with, because even then so all of our educators have impacted our academic journey in one way or another.

I am grateful to say that Mr. DelPrato made me eager to learn and is someone who cares about his students— someone who sees each of his students as individuals and takes time to adapt to their specific learning styles. His class was something to look forward to each and every day, and for that I am very grateful.

So this week, thank that teacher, or thank a few... if you've continued your education past high school, I'm sure your teachers are part of the reason why.