New Book
Family Friends

Fiction on Odyssey: Vivid 'The last of our kind'

Chapter two of an original ongoing creation!

248

Here is chapter two of Vivid! I'm so excited to keep sharing these with you! Every week check back for more.

Chapter 2: The Post

Where was I? And what was on that door. That symbol baffles me but I know I've seen it before. I slide into my favorite chair at my black computer desk that I've had since I was in elementary school. I turn on my MacBook Pro and just wait however impatiently to get on Safari. I type in every detail of the dream I can remember and press enter. Five search results appear.

Apparently, I'm not the only one who had had this dream. I open the first tab and see an entry from a girl named Jasmine who is 17 and from Ann Arbor, Michigan. Being from Chicago that really isn't too far. As I start reading, more and more things I couldn't even remember before started coming back to me. The box in the basement of the home I was running from was locked just like Jasmine's. Why are we having the same dream?

Errrrrrttttt. The breaks of the school bus stopping in front of my house rattle my eardrums. I throw on a black Metallica t-shirt, a pair of black leggings, grab my bag and MacBook and run out the door slamming it behind me. Getting on the bus, all I can think about is my dream and Jasmine. I have to get ahold of her we need to talk and now. I'm so confused and it's starting to hurt my head. The bus takes off I fly back into my seat as I hold on for dear life just praying I make it to school alive.

We pull up in front of Beth's house, the only friend I have in the whole world besides Snowball, my hedgehog. I haven't spoken a word to her about what has been going on. She would think I'm crazy and try to get me admitted. So I keep my mouth shut and move my bag like I do every day so she can sit next to me, she likes that I keep her seat warm for her. We hug and she starts blabbing about her boyfriend Andrew. I couldn't care less at this moment.

The wheels in my brain are turning faster than that of the new Dodge Challenger Hellcat I absolutely adore. I'm afraid she can hear them spinning but she just continues with her drama. I hear bits and pieces and nod agreeing with her like usual not to look out of the ordinary.

Next stop John F. Kennedy High school. We are almost late so all of us on the bus hop off as quickly as possible to stampede our way to first hour. Algebra II is first for me. I'm so miserable at math I might as well just drop out, but my mom would murder me.

I sit down at my old weak desk hoping it doesn't break. Right next to me is Richard, the nastiest kid in my high school. From eating his boogers to smelling me as I sit down, I'd rather just run away. But I pull out my computer and open it back up to the Internet. I keep reading Jasmine's post.

Her dream ends right at the door. The exact same spot as my dream. At the end of the post she writes, what's next? No replies. That was 3 months ago. I hope if I message her she will receive it.

"Dear Jasmine,
My name is Haleigh. I'm from Chicago and I've been having the same dream. I'm so confused it's literally causing me fits. It's all I can think about its starting to ruin my life. Message me if you get this we need to talk ASAP.
Please hurry, Haleigh"

Finally, someone knows. I've kept it in for so long. Now what? How long do I wait? All of the other search results are from Jasmine too. It couldn't be just her and I, could it? That's not possible. Two people in the whole world. I don't get it.

"Haleigh," Richard says. What could he possibly want? "Yes Richard," I say back with a tone I'm sure anyone could recognize as frustration. "What are you doing on your fancy computer?" Richard barked.

Should I tell him? I've already told one person could it really hurt? I keep my mouth shut and mutter "just school work what else would I be doing." He rolls his eyes and goes back to doing homework. I don't mean to be rude but I'm so scared. Could something be wrong with me?

That was a longer chapter, I know, but it didn't feel right cutting it short. I hope you enjoyed! Check back next week for chapter three!