Viva Las Vegas: Seeing The Killers At Vegas' T-Mobile Arena

A look back at the time I saw The Killers in their hometown.

34
Erik Kabik

This is Part 2 of more tales featuring my favorite band, The Killers, seeing them live, and hanging out with all my Victim friends along the way. Part 1 can be read here.

This past April was the first time (and I’m sure not the last) I traveled quite a distance to see The Killers. This time, it was to their hometown of Las Vegas, Nevada for the opening of the brand new T-Mobile Arena. Being a band that is proud of their roots, to see them in their hometown would surely be an epic experience. Luckily, the show fell the exact week that I had spring break so I didn't have to miss school. The week leading up to the show was great - it included seeing many Killers-related spots and meeting up with other Victims in anticipation for the show.

Famous “Flamingo” road-inspiring the name for Brandon’s first solo album

The Sam’s Town sign, used on the band’s tour 2006-2007 tour (at the Hard Rock Cafe) with fellow Victims Anna and Jess

Being in Vegas gave me another way to experience the songs. Just walking the streets and seeing the sights gave the songs a new perspective, almost like they came to life. The desert, the neon lights, the attractions, the people, the strip all showed me where these songs were coming from.

Finally, it was show day, Thursday April 6th. I got up around 7:30 in the morning and made my way over to the arena to join the line. I always enjoy the wait in line, it builds your excitement and lets you catch up with friends.

With Kat, Sana and Carolina outside the T-Mobile Arena

Although it was hot outside in the Vegas heat, the wait went fast and, around six p.m., we ran into the new arena floor to the barrier. At every Killers show there is a buzz and excitement in the air, but, at this show, it was a different kind of intensity and excitement. This way their hometown and it was their time to shine.

Just after nine p.m., the band hit the stage, and with the house lights still on, took the crowd to another level with "Mr. Brightside" then into another hit "Spaceman," this time with the lights down. During the third song of the set, “The Way It Was,” Brandon offered an introduction to how the night came to be.

“At first I heard the Dixie Chicks were going to open this place, then Floyd Mayweather was going to have a fight, now I love boxing and I love country music but something didn’t sit right with me. I called up our manager and told him I have an idea for a band that could open the T-Mobile Arena, and I happen to be the singer of the band.”

At the end of the song he added “I’m calling out from my hometown,” followed by cheers from the crowd.

Front row view at the new arena

Throughout the rest of the two-hour set the band played their hits to an electric crowd, including paying tribute to the local legend Elvis with an acoustic cover of “Can’t Help Falling in Love With You,” then going into the song that started it all for me, "Read My Mind." It was a rousing experience, and towards the end of the show before playing one of their first hits “All These Things That I’ve Done,” Brandon added insight into the origins of the song.

“I worked as a bellman at the Gold Coast over there on Flamingo [Road], and I would come up with song ideas and I would leave a message on Dave [Keuning-guitar player] answering machine and tell him to not pick up. I was listening to a lot of Lou Reed at the time and I had this idea 'you gotta help me out, yeah yeah, oh don’t you put me on the backburner, oh you gotta help me out.' We then took it to Ronnie [Vannucci-drummer] garage and everybody got their hands on it and it became this song.”

It added a special meaning to the song, giving everyone a reminder of how far they have made in their hometown. The overall feel of the show was sentimental and it gave everyone that attended a feeling of fulfillment and then some. Call Brandon a psychic, but it seems he could clearly read everyone's mind. My favorite band in their hometown, it was a night I will never forget.

One of the most common questions I get from people is why do I continue to see the same band over and over again. It doesn’t matter to me if the songs are the same, every show is truly different. The experience of the show begins way before Brandon and company take the stage too. It’s the early wake-ups to get in the line with your fellow Victims, it's catching up with friends all sharing the same love over your favorite band, it's the in-line chatter raising your excitement for the impeding show hours away, it's the sharing of band stories (I always learn at least three new ones at every show,) it's the run for the desired barrier spot, it's the reveal of the “K” (Brandon’s synth board,) it's the 10-minute countdown to showtime and then finally the band hits the stage and you feel yourself taken off the ground for the next two hours. Being with your friends in front of your favorite band singing and screaming the words back of your favorite songs to them is like no other experience out there. It’s not just “another show,” it's a celebration of the beauty of music really.

My Killers necklace, around my neck 24/7

As time goes by and life happens, The Killers will always be there for me. Their songs, their shows always seem to make it into my everyday life. Whether it’s giving me something to follow and be passionate about or giving me a soundtrack to my life I’ll always have my favorites by my side. As life goes by me every day, I can’t wait for the next chance to sing my heart out at the next show, or simply return “home.”