Why You Should Visit Yokohama, Japan

Why You Should Visit Yokohama, Japan

Yokohama beat Tokyo as my favorite city - and here's why.

315
Why You Should Visit Yokohama, Japan
Visit Japan

Only a half hour train ride south from central Tokyo, you’ll find the unique city of Yokohama. On your trip to Tokyo or the surrounding area, make sure to carve a day out of your schedule to visit this great city. Here are just a few reasons why Yokohama is worth your time:

The Multiculturalism

This seaside city has a very multicultural feel because of history’s influence on the city’s evolution. The streets are wider than in many Japanese cities, and the buildings have varied architecture due to a Western presence since the arrival of Commodore Perry in 1853. Perry docked near Yokohama and pushed to have the city opened for commerce with foreigners, and succeeded when he signed the Treaty for Peace and Amity. After his arrival and the adoption of many aspects of Western culture by locals, Yokohama became a hub of multiculturalism, which continues to be true to this day. In addition to this Western influence, there is also a large Chinese presence in the city, due to the high number of immigrants from China.

The Ports

Yokohama is a port city – the most popular parts of the city to visit are very close to the water. In fact, ferries are a common form of transportation, and are often thought of as more convenient than trains, buses, or cars because of the lack of traffic. There are several boats and ferries you can take during your trip to Yokohama, from tour boats to public transport ferries. These trips range from 5 minute rides from one port to one nearby, to 2 hour sightseeing trips. A convenient spot to start your boat trip is Yamashita Park, which stretches for several blocks along the water and is next to one of Yokohama’s main ferry ports. Whether you take a boat or not, this park is also a lovely place to spend some time, whether during one the park’s famous festivals, or on a more quiet day when you can enjoy the gardens and ocean view.

China Town

The China Town of Yokohama is the biggest in Asia! It’s a great place to walk around, browse in some fun shops, and eat delicious Chinese food. It also has two absolutely beautiful temples, Kanteibyo and Masobyo, which are aesthetically quite different than the more simple temples common in Japan. China Town attracts both locals and visitors, as it is one of Yokohama’s most characteristic sites. Yokohama’s China Town also hosts several festivals throughout the year, complete with fireworks, food, and impressive shows that include acrobatics, dancing, martial arts, and music. The most famous festivals are the ones for Lunar New Year.

Other Attractions

From unique museums to an amusement park smack dab in the middle of the city, there’s plenty more to explore in Yokohama. If you’re a fan of ramen, then visit the Cup Ramen museum and learn more about one of your favorite foods. At this museum, you can design your own cup ramen by choosing the broth flavor and what goes in it. After making your own recipe, it gets sealed away into the characteristic packaged ramen cup, and you can take it home with you to eat later.

Another fun spot is the amusement park nestled in the middle of the city. Roller coasters and a tall Ferris wheel can be seen poking out from between city buildings, making the theme park easy to find from many parts of the city. Or if you’re in the mood for shopping or a nice bite to eat, Yokohama Station features 11 floors of shops and restaurants. Be sure to check them out before heading out of the city.

After visiting twice this summer, Yokohama has quickly become one of my favorite places I’ve ever been. The unique feeling of the city, especially its ports and China Town, makes me sure that Yokohama is a must-see if you’re visiting Japan.