Virtual Reality or just Reality?

Virtual Reality or just Reality?

Virtual may become the new real

19
Virtual Reality or just Reality?
Random42 Scientific Community

For the past year, we have made some huge steps in the gaming industry. The Xbox One and the PS4 introduced new forms of gaming, specifically virtual reality, also simply called VR. It looks and sounds fun from seeing people play horror games or simulated golf games. It is for pure entertainment and for any type of leisure activity. Youtubers are able to get their hands on VR and show it to their viewers. The VR device, if you want to get the best there is, is the HTC Vive.

For your viewing pleasure and virtual reality experience, you simply have to unload $800 on it and it's yours. You get two controllers that look like nun-chucks from the Wii and you can use them for any game that suits it. Now for me, this does not interest me in the slightest. Not only is this device close to double that of a console without the games, it seems to immerse us too much in the virtual world. At least for consoles, you are completely separate from the game, as the controller does all the work. You can put the controller down whenever you want. You can look away whenever you want. The console has stayed pretty much the same as far as set up goes. You have a processing unit that run games on a separate unit from the controller. The controller is controlled by the person. VR takes this a step further and puts the user in a position of immersion where the person is the console.

Again, this seems all fun and games, but what happens when we take it too far. It's cool to see the VR as a device that you can simply take off. What if we go a step more advanced and are able to create an intelligence software that is programmed to our brains instead? There wouldn't be a limit to what we could do with that. Personally, this scares me. Of course, we haven't gotten there yet, but when we do, we won't see the possible consequences until it's too late. Maybe one day, our virtual reality will be the only reality that we really know. The transition to dependence on technology is staggering. The internet is simultaneously making our world bigger while making it smaller. We are feeling less and less likely to get out of our homes and explore due to the massive amount of information of the world around us that lies outside our comfort zones. This article may not even get the attention it needs in order to address this problem. In the end, this is just a concerned citizen addressing society's overwhelming problems.