"Views" Song-by-Song Analysis, Part 1

"Views" Song-by-Song Analysis, Part 1

"Tried to Kill Me But They Still Want The Views"

17
"Views" Song-by-Song Analysis, Part 1
Google Images

Drake's newest album "Views" has been considered a step back by many, but it is nothing to sleep on. The first listen is okay but the more you listen to the album the more you stop yourself and think, "damn, that was good." After listening to this album over and over again I have decided to break down this nearly hour and a half album and share my interpretation of each song and share some key lyrics from each song that helped to give insight. I'm breaking down the album five songs at a time into four different articles, this is part one.

1. Keep the Family Close

"...How do you not check on me when things go wrong? Guess I should've tried to keep my family closer, much closer... Guess that's what they say you need family for cause I can't depend on you anymore"

We can all relate to this song, we all have someone that we loved and supported during hard times but when things got rough on our end the love and support wasn't reciprocated. It is in our darkest times that we fall back on our family.

"...Always saw you for what you could've been...You're supposed to put your pride aside and ride for me"

Often times that person that we put on a pedestal is not always the person that we think they are. We don't always receive what we give to people and they won't have your back like you have theirs.

2. Nine

"I made a decision last night that I would die for it.
just to
show the city what it takes to be alive for it."
"Doesn't matter where I go, I can never get away from it.
They give me loyalty and I don't gotta pay for it.
Same way, breads gotta break for it. Keeping people fed is my only peace of mind now"

This song is about the dedication to his city and how much he is sacrificing for it and the people. The people that he comes from is always going to be loyal to him and he is always going to provide for them.

"All these hand outs, man it's getting outta hand. Imma start telling n*ggas, 'get it how you can'
I got it right now so I'm everybody's friend"

Since he became famous and has money everyone is being his friend and expecting to use him for his money.

3. U With Me?

"Cuts too deep for a Bandaid solution. We too deep in this thing, you'll never lose me.
LOLOL I'm glad you find this sh*t amusing"
"You got a different vision... That's not the way we living.
Too much goin' on, it's just not realistic"

He's telling her how he feels about her but she isn't taking it seriously. She wants to be able to have the house to them but because of his career it will never be able to work out that way.

"These days I don't talk 'bout them days like I miss 'em
And you shouldn't miss 'em either, we different people"

He realizes that they're too different to work out and he doesn't miss the days.

"3 dots, you thinkin' of a reaction still
While you're typin' make sure to tell me what type of games are bein' played?
How's it goin' down? If it's on 'til we gone then I gots to know now
Is you wit' me or what?"

One of my favorite verses, he's confronting her about the games they are both playing and just wants to know if she wants to be with him or not.

4. Feel No Ways

"I tried with you. There's more to life than sleepin' in and gettin' high with you.
I had to let go of us to show myself what I could do and that just don't sit right with you."

This is a song about a failed relationship, what is new? Their relationship was based around lazing around and smoking weed, so he let her go to go on to bigger and better things and she didn't like it.

"And now you're tryna make me feel a way, on purpose.
Now you're throwin' it back in my face, on purpose.
Now you're talkin' down on my name, on purpose, yeah
And you don't feel no way, you think I deserve it."

The girl is upset that Drake just up and left her so she's going around talking smack about him and trying to make him feel like crap. We've all had someone who tried to ruin us after things didn't work out.

"I've stopped listenin' to things you say. Feel a way, feel a way, young n*gga feel a way"

He doesn't care about what she says and who ever feels a way about him is just going to suck it up because Drake doesn't care. Sometimes you just got to overlook people, let them think what they will and move on.

5. Hype

"But I'm young money, got it written on me
Ok now we got some action Everything I said, it happened
That boy light as Michael Jackson, but off verses he been blackin'
chasing women a distraction"

This is pretty much a self reflection of Drake, he has achieved everything he said would happen.

"I hate a goofy especially They always dying to mention me
They gotta go, they gotta go They gotta die out eventually I cannot give 'em no empathy"

Everyone is talking about him but he doesn't give them attention in hopes that they will stop and die out.

"Look what I've done in my life
I had to count it then count it again To make sure the money was right
They love to talk
Me, I'm just done in the hype Me, I'm just done in the hype
Me I'm just done, done, done, done, done"

Drake has done a lot and he's had to do a double take sometimes to make sure that it was real. Everyone is going to talk but he's done with it and isn't going to feed into it anymore.