Vegan Improved Relationship Food
Food Drink

Going Vegan Has Revolutionized My Entire Relationship With Food

If we are what we eat, then I want to be fully alive.

129
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Vegan_food_in_Madrid_2016.jpg

Things have been getting a lot deeper in my world. I've always felt things very deeply, but when it came to food I'd just eat whatever I was in the mood for or whatever was convenient at the time. Maybe I'd have a chicken vegetable wrap with fries for lunch or savory eggs in the morning. Eggs were my absolute favorite. There were so many ways to make them and they were such a staple, but as I began to abandon animal products I felt an uncomfortable push to discover something new. What's a morning without my scrambled eggs, spinach, and ham? I worried myself about what I would do without my precious eggs and looking back I can't even stomach the thought of putting them back in my mouth. What changed? And why all of a sudden was it so easy for me to drop something I enjoyed on a daily basis?

In hindsight, this is who I've always been. There were times I'd look at meat and feel disgusted. When I was a little girl I'd take so long to chew a piece of steak. I hated the texture and I could never quite put my finger on what felt wrong. As my internal world began to shift toward a more mindful approach to life, I started to notice changes in what I'd desire. I adopted a vegetarian diet, but it'd only be a matter of time until I felt the need to drop dairy. At the time, I knew nothing about the true cruelties of the animal industry. I just knew my body was telling me "no more." This is the moment I went vegan. My relationship with food would never be the same.

I no longer eat mindlessly. When I go to the grocery store I check labels for animal products. When I go out to eat I do my best to ask about certain ingredients. When I cook a meal I feel good knowing my consumption aligns with my beliefs. It was a learning curve at first because I had to educate myself on plant-based nutrients. Now, it's a celebration. Each meal feels brand new as I try new recipes - dishes I would never have discovered before.

Sometimes we make ourselves do things even if it feels uncomfortable or weird at first. We have to honor that feeling and go for it. Although the reason behind going vegan wasn't explicit at first, I felt it to my core and that was all I needed to know. Our bodies have a beautiful tendency to realize the truth even when our mind fools us. We just need to pay attention to it. Deep down I knew it was always for the protection against the exploitation of this wonderful gift - life.

I feast often and I feast well. A typical day of eating has shifted from chicken, veggies, and eggs to something more delicious and rewarding. Mornings include blueberry waffles, oatmeal, and a mid-morning smoothie. For lunch, I'll have buffalo cauliflower wraps with sweet potato fries or maybe a BBQ burger. Dinner time might consist of portobello steaks, mashed potatoes, carrots, and green beans. I'm a chocolate lover so dessert comprises of either a brownie with almond milk, chocolate ice cream, etc…

If you're thinking I miss out, you've never been more wrong. I still get to eat ice cream, pizza, buffalo wraps, burritos, etc… It all just comes without the animal cruelty. The future is vegan. I believe we're all vegan, whether we know it or not, it just takes us our own time to realize this.

We live in a society where it's easy to forget the origin of where our products come from. Maybe our shirt was made by an exploited worker just as our food came from an exploited being. About a month into my vegan switch, I finally felt ready to watch the documentaries and videos on how our food makes its way to the grocery store, restaurants, and ultimately our mouths. I wasn't shocked at the disgust I felt. I knew there were horrible things going on. I was only heartbroken to see how far removed we have become.

There are a lot of delicious meals I would have never known about and now my relationship with food goes beyond satisfying hunger or taste. My new relationship with food started off as a change in what I viewed as "food." It's a relationship that has grown into what nourishes my belief systems, my body, and plays a huge role in lifting my mood and increasing productivity levels. If we are what we eat, then I want to be fully alive.