9 'How I Met Your Mother' .GIFs That Perfectly Capture The Vegan Experience

It's gonna be legen — wait for it — dairy-free!

197
CBS

What do veganism and "How I Met Your Mother" both have in common? You have no idea what you're getting yourself into when you first start and by the end you're left emotionally ruined but all the better for having committed to it.

These nine "How I Met Your Mother" .GIFs perfectly capture the vegan experience.

1. When you first decide to try veganism.

Whether for ethical, health, or conservation reasons, you've finally decided to try veganism out for yourself, and boy are you committed. After watching countless upsetting documentaries and pinning lots of new plant-based recipes to your Pinterest, you're ready to go. You know it's going to be difficult — that's why they call it a challenge — but you're up for anything.

2. When the vegan "substitute" isn't what you hope it will be.

-

When those cravings hit and you're in desperate need of some mac n' cheese, sometimes plain pasta and marinara sauce just doesn't cut it. Finding the perfect replacement for your favorite comfort foods takes a lot of time, money, and trial and error. But no matter how hard you try, you'll never be cheese, cashew cream, so do us both a favor and stop trying.

3. When you meet other vegans.

You've finally found them, people who understand the struggle of finding the perfect dairy-free ice cream, or who can tell you the best spot on campus to find a veggie burger. Making new vegan friends is a great way to stay motivated and sharing your experiences with each other reminds you why you started in the first place.

4. When you find a really good vegan restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, fresh fruits and veggies are delicious but eventually, salads get boring when they're all you can eat when you go out to dinner with friends. So when you stumble upon a new restaurant with amazing dairy-free nachos or a great portabella sandwich, it can be overwhelming. No one will drive an hour and a half for food like a disgruntled vegan.

5. When your older relatives don't approve of your new eating habits.

It's not your grandpa's fault that he thought you could eat his fried fish, but the exacerbated look he shoots you when you politely stick to the side salad and potatoes is unnecessary. When you switch to veganism, you usually have to learn how to cook for yourself, if you haven't already, or otherwise go hungry. Your mom, understandably, isn't going to cook you an entirely separate meal.

6. When your non-vegan friends just don't get it.

When you're hanging out with friends on a Friday night and they're trying to order pizza so you guys can watch a movie, explaining the whole vegan thing can be tricky. Someone will offer to get half without pepperoni and you have to explain how you can't eat cheese either, or one of your friends will announce that you're a vegan over and over while you hide your face in your hands and promise to remember to bring your own snacks next time.

7. When you eventually break.

You tried time and time again to resist the sweet siren call of McDonald's when you're drunk at 1:30 in the morning, but this time you just couldn't resist. The chicken nuggets are amazing when you're eating them but afterward, you're left with a stomach ache and a lot of guilt. But remember it's okay and that one slip up is not the end, you've still got this!

8. When you realize how expensive vegan food is.

Eating vegan on a budget isn't impossible but it certainly is difficult. Sometimes you have to make the choice between saving money or splurging on the expensive but oh-so-delicious pseudo chicken strips at the grocery store. And most of the time, the chicken strips win.

9. When you realize how awesome you really are.

Veganism is hard and it takes a lot of self-control to do it right. But despite the slip-ups and the occasional crying spell over fettuccine alfredo, what you're doing is amazing and you know it! Keep it up, for the animals, the planet, and yourself!