The Ultimate 7 Point Valley Forge Bucket List

Soak up some sun and rays simultaneously!

38
Ashley Paskill

Valley Forge, located near King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, was a training camp for Washington's army during the winter of 1777-1778 during the Revolutionary War. Today, it is a popular place to soak up some history or go for a walk. There is so much to see and do in the park. There are more than are listed, but these are some of the highlights.

1. Visit Washington's Headquarters

Washington's Headquarters is the house that George Washington and his staff stayed in while camped at Valley Forge. Alexander Hamilton was another notable person who stayed here with Washington. (Note: this picture is George Washington's statue at the Visitor Center.)

2. Visit the Visitor Center's museum

The Visitor Center is a great place to start your day at Valley Forge. It provides valuable information about what to see and how to get around the park. It also offers a museum of information and artifacts from the encampment. There is also a gift shop.

3. Walk inside a cabin

The cabins located in the park are a great way to get an idea of what soldiers had to live in while at Valley Forge. There are some at this roadside pull-off that you can go in. Often times, there are re-enactors who can provide information about the specific cabins or answer any questions you may have.

4. See the Lafayette statue

Lafayette was a key figure at Valley Forge. He was another key aide to Washington and stayed in his headquarters. He was chosen to lead an invasion of Quebec in the winter, but was praised when he denounced this plan.

5. Visit the National Memorial Arch

This arch was built to celebrate Washington's army arriving at Valley Forge. It also commemorates all who served at the camp. It is inscribed with the last names of the generals who served during the Revolutionary War.

6. Go on the covered bridge

This bridge was built in the mid-1800s. It was recently damaged when it was struck by a car, and was closed indefinitely as a result, but once it reopens, it is certainly worth checking out and driving over.

7. Go to the Washington Memorial Chapel

The Chapel is a fully-functioning church that holds worship services, weddings, and other events. It is the home of the Wall of Honor and spectacular stained glass windows. Though it is not affiliated to Valley Forge, it was built as a tribute to George Washington and his soldiers at Valley Forge.