Valentine's Day for Chronically Single People

You're not alone if you have yourself

262

People have extremely polarized opinions about Valentine's Day. Some are vehemently opposed to such a commercial holiday, especially one that seemingly exists for the sole purpose of making them feel forever alone. Others feel the complete opposite way and practically count down the days until it arrives.

I am relatively indifferent about Valentine's Day. If pressed, I would say I fall more into the latter category than the former. After all, any day dedicated to showing others that you love them is a pretty okay holiday in my book. Even though the only Valentines I've ever received were either from my dad or my entire second-grade class, it's the thought that counts.

If you are single this Valentine's Day, fear not. There are a plethora of fun activities for you to do by yourself.

1. Watch a movie or television show

You are strictly forbidden from watching The Notebook or P.S. I Love You. Stick with something safe like a documentary about whales or 60 Minutes.

2. Dedicate your entire day to completing a 33,000 piece puzzle of Brussel's sprouts

3. Buy this $25,000 pet rock and have a romantic candlelit dinner with him

4. Go to a department store and pretend to be a mannequin for four hours straight

Make sure to bring a light snack. Standing still for four hours is more exhausting than one might think.

5. Film a self-choreographed music video to every song on the Les Misérables soundtrack.

You are allowed to skip "On My Own" since it probably hits a little too close to come.

6. Create a homemade scrapbook for your pet cat

Include all of the important milestones like the first time you hugged Fluffy without her hissing at you and the time she swiped the goldfish bowl off the counter and killed your beloved fish.

7. Listen to "How to Win Friends and Influence People" on audiobook

Take detailed notes and post key pieces of advice on sticky notes around your room for future reference.

8. Take a jazzercise class

I can think of no better way to spend the holiday of love than exercising with old people.

9. Finally take down the Christmas tree that is still standing in your living room.

You might as well be productive since you're the only one that's home.

10. Download Photoshop onto your computer

Then proceed to photoshop yourself into a picture with every person you've ever had a crush on since birth and send the resulting slideshow to your mom the next time she asks if you have a significant other. That includes Luke Skywalker. And Edmund from the Chronicles of Narnia.