Yes, I'm A Valentine Baby, And It's Not All Boxes Of Chocolates And Teddy Bears

Just let me have my moment!!!!
85

"Awe, you're a Valentine baby?" Yes, I am, don't remind me. It's not exactly as great as some people seem to think it is. I feel like I have to decide on a different day to claim as my birthday because my actual one never seems to really count. The reality of being a Valentine baby is quite disappointing.

I know it sounds a tad selfish, but my birthday should be all about me. That sort of is the point of a person's birthday, isn't it? You're celebrating the day they were born, how much they've grown and learned, etc. You're celebrating them. So, I want people to celebrate me. Instead, they're all celebrating their love or complaining about being single. So I'm left to celebrate me, by myself.

It was frustrating growing up and getting gifts, but then seeing my siblings get a small gift as well for Valentine's Day. I mean, come on, let me have my moment. I know other's who have their birthday on a holiday understand some of my pain.

My nephew was actually born on Christmas, so I know that as he gets older and understands the two, I want to make sure he knows, that I get it, and I'm going to try my hardest to make sure he still feels special that day. In fact, I'd rather celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve or the day after, just to make sure he still has his day.

Valentine's Day doesn't quite work like that though. No, people go out and do gifts, and celebrate on that day. It's also the one day that your friends can decide to ditch you if they want, cause, it's Valentine's Day and they want to spend it with their significant other. I get, it's cool. Although it does make me want to do research to find some stupid thing that happens on their birthday so I can apologize in advance that I won't be able to celebrate because the day is special for another reason. Oh, your birthday is on Earth Day? Sorry, I won't be attending, I have nature to admire and trees to hug.

I sometimes forget my birthday is Valentine's Day. So when I see stores get all festive with their hearts, I have to take a moment to think about it. When it clicks though, I'm put back into a bit of a sour mood.

I do love my birthday, don't get me wrong. Growing up it's always been a special day for me, but as I get older, it just gets a little more frustrating. However, it is what it is, and I've come to accept that. I've learned to celebrate it in any way that I can and make the most of it.

There are also the usual plus sides. I mean, no one can forget my birthday that's for sure. My mom always gets me a heart-shaped donut that Dunkin has this time of year. I do love stuffed animals and cute ones are currently everywhere. I mean, it is my birthday so I have to find the positives, I don't want to be miserable the whole day.

Overall, it's not ideal having to share my birthday with a holiday, but I'm turning 22 this year and I'm very excited. I get to work that day and spend time with the kids at my daycare, that despite getting their own gifts and celebrating, always make me feel special and loved.

Here is to everyone else out there that shares their birthday with a holiday. I get ya, and I'm here for ya. How do you deal with it though?

Happy Valentine's Day everyone, and Happy Birthday to me.