if Vaccines Were College Majors

Vaccinations are a big thing for newborns and young children so that they can be immune to diseases as they continue to grow. Polio, Rabies, and Hep-A have been listed as 'Inactivated/killed' (according to Carrington College's website), so these will be excluded.

However, the seven main vaccinations that are going to be presented will be reimagined as college majors. Buckle up, this is going to be a bumpy ride!

1. Rotavirus — Biology major

Rotavirus is a disease that infects infants and young children in their intestines (yuck!). It can cause diarrhea, vomiting, fever, and other symptoms. Biology studies the literal art of humans, animals, and environments' internal structure. Expect Rotavirus to be in your BIO 100 course freshman year, nose deep in the textbook on the first day of school.

2. Yellow Fever — Hospitality Management major

Hospitality Management major, aka 'I travel almost all the time and get a sense of tourism'. There's one person you know on campus that is either that major or close to it. Yellow fever is an infection from an infected mosquito in tropical or warm areas, so they wear repellent and other avoidance of this disease. Happy travels!

3. Shingles — Nursing major

Shingles, or Zoster (official name), are painful rashes that can appear on your body as you get older. Children suffering from chickenpox could develop into shingles as they get older. Shingles is the Nursing major in a similar class, studying how to care for patients and work in the medical world. They're always searching for answers, working close to doctors, and making sure their careers involve happy faces at the ER and such. Make friends with a Nursing major, but don't get shingles.

4. Influenza — Undecided major

They're everywhere on campus, so just go with it.

5. Measles/Mumps — Government/Political Science major

Measles and Mumps cause rashes, temporarily lose your appetite, and other harms to your body. Government or Political Science majors closely study history, culture, actions, and governments in general in order to develop more critical thinking methods of interacting state and the individual.

6. Smallpox — Computer Science major

Smallpox also causes increasingly painful rashes, dents, and bumps on your skin. Increasingly painful, just like the study of computer science. Those who choose to pursue that as a major go through tons of classes relating to comp engineering, software development, and computers in general. Maybe one day, that CompSci kid you knew sophomore year becomes the next Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

7. Chickenpox — Communications major

Chickenpox is another form of rashes, except they appear as red blotches on skin. Many kids have suffered from this once, including myself. Communications involves storytelling, radio, and some forms of writing. You'll definitely encounter a Communications major on campus, always telling stories and having a contagious personality...er, sorry, an embraceable personality.

Overall, these majors and vaccines go hand-in-hand!