5 uses for essential oils you didn't know could change your life

From acne remedies to spider repellants, essential oils do it all.

103

Many of us have heard of the wonders of lavender, how one whiff can transport us into a world of relaxation. However, the wondrous uses for essential oils go far beyond getting a better sleep.

There are two types of oils: carrier oils and essential oils. Most of the time, essential oils cannot be used topically without carrier oils, which are unscented and perfect for getting the most out of your oils.

Essential oils are highly concentrated oils derived from plants and used in aromatherapy. Most essential oils require a carrier oil if applied directly on the skin. They can offer medicinal, cosmetic and aroma-therapeutic effects, free from unnatural properties. Some examples are lavender, tea tree and lemongrass.

Carrier oils are unscented oils used to 'dilute' essential oils. This is because many essential oils are too strong to be applied without dilution. Some carrier oils include almond, evening primrose and coconut oil.

Almond oil + tea tree oil as an acne remedy

images.pexels.com

Those of us with acne might get spooked when we hear oil as an ingredient to remedy our zits, but almond oil is one of the best things we can put on our skin. In nature, almond oil is the closest thing to our bodies' natural pH! This means that it will sink into our skin quickly and offer a light moisture.

Mix it with tea tree oil, which has tough antiseptic and cleansing properties, and you could not ask for a better trick to clear your skin.

A quarter sized amount of almond oil with two to four drops of tea tree will be more than enough for your face!

Spritz lavender and water for deep sleep

images.pexels.com

Lavender is one of those magic oils that does not require a carrier. While this doesn't mean you can start dropping lavender all over your face, it does mean it can be safely diluted with water. A few sprays over your sheets at night will spread lavender's relaxing properties and rock you into a deep sleep!

Filling up a 500 ml spray bottle with five to ten drops of lavender is the perfect mix for a restful night.

Frankincense oil + carrier for bruises and scabs

images.pexels.com

Frankincense is the hidden gem of the essential oil world. Usually used in incense, this oil has countless other uses. These include helping anxiety, reducing inflammation and increasing immunity.

When mixed with a carrier, frankincense can help to reduce pain and inflammation from bruises. It can also help scabs heal faster.

1 tablespoon of any carrier oil, with two to four drops of frankincense is perfect for all your injuries.

Peppermint oil + water for spiders

images.pexels.com

If you've got a fear of spiders like me, this hack will save your life. Spiders and other creepy crawlies dislike the smell of peppermint and other mint based oils. Putting five to ten drops of peppermint oil in a 500 ml spray bottle with water won't kill the bugs, but it will keep them away!

Drops of peppermint oil for headaches.

images.pexels.com

Those of us who hate swallowing pills or dislike taking medication will love this hack. Take a few drops of peppermint oil into the palms of your hands, then rub it onto your temples. It's the perfect fix for headaches. Peppermint's calming properties will help to ease your pain and leave you smelling fresh!

Two to four drops is the perfect dose to cure your pains!

The uses for essential oils and their carriers are endless. Not only are they cheap, cruelty free and eco-friendly, but they are extremely beneficial for our health!

So now the question remains: When are you switching out your favorite remedies for essential oils?