10 Realistic Tips For Incoming College Freshmen Who Are Totally Clueless

I can promise you that it will happen. It will not be easy, but it will most definitely be worth it. Everything happens for a reason.

213
123rf.com

Transitioning from your senior year in high school to your freshman year in college can be tough. You're still trying to maintain good grades in high school while making arguably one of the most important decisions in your life.

You're thinking about what college has what major and how good it is. You're thinking about the distance you'll be from your friends, family and possibly significant other.

You're maybe even thinking about what colleges offer the sport you want to play.

Trust me, you'll be thinking about a lot of things. What you need to focus on are your top priorities.

Ask yourself a few questions. What do I want to major in? Where will this get me in four years?

Are there better options that I'm not considering? Asking yourself these important questions may narrow down some of your thoughts and make the decision making process much less stressful.

You may be finding yourself at the end of senior year, but you still have no idea what you want to do. There are so many resources available help you find your path. Visit your school counselors office to review your options and discover what you want to do with your life.

All these problems that you may be having are completely normal and even expected. Without the confusing nights, long applications, fees and school visits, we wouldn't be where we are now.

You will end up where you're supposed to be, but to ensure a more comfortable college experience here are a few tips via someone whose experienced freshman year of college first hand.

1. Pick YOUR college

Yeah, your parents may “want” you to go to a specific school, and your friends may go to your local community college. But don’t let this influence you. In the long run, your parents will support you, and if your friends are really your friends the bond will not be broken. You’re the one getting an education and you’re the one who’s going to be living there. If you pick a college that you aren’t in love with, the experience will be much more stressful and traumatic. Find your home. Go with your gut. You won’t regret it if you’re the one making the decision.

2. Find a roommate that you connect with

There are plenty of Facebook groups available for your school’s accepted students incoming class. This is where potential roommates will be added to and possibly post about themselves. Try and connect yourself with new friends and a roommate. This will make your experience more comfortable for you, because you have the opportunity to meet people and maybe even a roommate. If you just aren’t sure who you should pick, maybe “going random” is the choice for you! In my personal experience, finding a roommate beforehand made me feel like I was going through this transition with a friend.

3. GO to office hours

Seriously, GO, GO, GO! I can’t stress this enough. It’s amazing how different professors can be when they realize how hard you’re trying in their class. Although it may not always seem like it, your professors do want to see you succeed. I promise going to their office hours can only help your grade. GO!

4. Shower shoes

If you don’t have a personal bathroom in your room, this is self-explanatory. The public bathrooms are disgusting. Get them.

5. Avoid studying in your room

While we’re all tired and don’t want to leave our rooms, studying seems to be much more effective when you do it outside of your own space. I understand that the library can sometimes be overly boring and slightly overwhelming. Try and find a different study space. I recommend your campus coffee shop or even a vacant classroom. These are all places you could go to study instead of your dorm room.

6. Get an agenda book

I was never one to write in my agenda book in high school, but it is 100% necessary now. If I don’t write it in my calendar, it isn’t happening. You will probably forget whatever you’re supposed to be doing if it isn’t written down, because relaxing/sleeping is always on the top of your mind’s priority list.

7. Drink water

It will help you in all aspects of college life. Just do it.

8. Snacks

All the snacks. You’ll thank yourself late at night when you’re craving chips and you don’t have to leave your room.

9. Bring pictures

A sentimental piece of home will bring you so much joy on a day you’re down. It may sound corny and you could just as easily look at your phone but decorating your room with pictures will make you feel much better in your dorm.

10. Overall, do what makes you happy

You’ll make friends, you’ll find the professors you like and the path that you’re meant to be on. If you aren’t sure about your major at first, it’s okay. Take different classes and find your passion. I can promise you that it will happen. It will not be easy, but it will most definitely be worth it. Everything happens for a reason.

If you're stuck, don't worry. Many people that you wouldnt even expect have been in your position. Everything will work out and when you end up at your dream school you'll be wondering why you were even worried about life in the first place.