I Used To Make Fun Of Sorority Girls

I Used To Make Fun Of Sorority Girls

And now I am one.

22
I Used To Make Fun Of Sorority Girls
Arden Palmquist

If you sat me down two years ago and told me, "You're going to be in a sorority when you go to school." I honestly would have laughed in your face and said, "You're on drugs." Then I would have walked away. I'll be honest, the idea of a sisterhood was just not my thing. I hung out with a small group of people that included at least five other guys and one girl. Sure, I had other friends on the side but those were the people I spent majority of my day with. But being in a sisterhood? That sounded like a complete joke to me.

I guess the idea of being in a room surrounded by girls who were chanting and smiling all the time freaked me out. I hated people. No, seriously. I was tired of people and being happy and positive 24/7 made me sick. Then there was this constant fear that nobody would want to take me in, that I wasn't pretty or funny or smart or just good enough to be in a sorority.

After fall recruitment started, I went to one of the events to meet the different chapters on campus. I went mostly because I was curious, I wanted to see what the big deal was about Greek life. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to join. Except one thing was keeping me back: my anxiety. So I didn't follow through with fall recruitment. Which looking back on now, that was is one of my biggest regrets.

Then in the spring, I just broke. My depression had never been worse. And truthfully, I think the part that made it worse was now that I was open about how I was feeling my parents weren't there to help me through it like they were back home. I was hours away. That kind of thing is scary because when you're sitting on your bathroom floor having a panic attack, sobbing, all you want is a hug from your parents. And I couldn't get that. So yeah, I was struggling big time.

My friends who went though fall recruitment, they always went on and on about how sisterhood meant turning to someone who would always listen. How if you were having a bad day, your sisters were the first people to ask what was wrong and to guide you every step of the way.

Let me just get to the point, I rushed spring of my freshman year and I fell in love. These girls that make those stupid hand signs to represent their chapters and always smiled were actually a lot more normal than I ever thought they would be.

There are these moments that we face where we know that we are here for a reason and my moment was when I met my sisters. I left the recruitment event and the first thing I did was call my mom and say, "I have to be in this chapter or I don't know what I'll do."

About a week later, I got my bid and I truly have never felt that level of happiness and relief. They wanted me and I wanted them. I found a home where people were just as into food, binge watching Netflix, and being random like I was. This was where I was meant to be and I had no doubt in my mind I wouldn't love these girls and my chapter more than anything in this world.

As for my depression? I saw a third therapist and my big was there all the way. She was the person who made sure to check in on me every now and then and make sure I wasn't panicking and sobbing my eyes out by myself. I appreciated that more than anything, along with everything she did for me.

So my point? I judged sororities based off of stereotypes and it turned out to be the one thing to keep me more sane than ever. My sisters are the biggest blessings in my life, along with my friends that I have made that belong in other chapters on campus.

It's as cliche as they say, you find your people and it truly is life changing. It's just hard to understand until you find your people and you're sitting there, staring at your sisters and you realize, "I'm home. These weirdos are my sisters, they are my people and there is nowhere I would rather be."

If we're being honest, I still make fun of sorority girls because we're funny! It's exactly what people say, "You get what you put into it." And I've put as much as I can into my chapter and my sisters and what I get are memories full of love, laughter, and time being spent with the girls that I call home.