The Butterfly Effect In Action: Unpredictable Weather And Their Not-So-Obvious Repercussions

We hope that the life of our hobbies and interest do not wither away in the face of weather, but all we can do is do our part and wait.
104

Winter is a fickle time of year in Boise, Idaho, especially with dramatic changes in climate during these recent years. In my personal experience over the past years, the snow, temperature, and humidity have varied quite a bit through the months of November through March, and its change has affected the local university quite a bit.

Boise, Idaho is located in a valley in the northwestern quadrant of America. It's location suits a dry yet seasonal climate with snow in the winter and triple-digit Fahrenheit numbers in the summer. Each are fantastic in their own aspects, especially when said climates have predictable schemes. Children adapt well to both conditions; either frolicking during 'snow days' when class is canceled, building snowmen and fighting snowball fights, or during the heated days of summer, running through the parks while they abuse their summer vacation days.

But college students hold dear to irregular schedules. The aura of stress is easily sensed throughout the campus, and the high strung emotions populate the classrooms and walkways alike. This intermediate period between childhood and adulthood is a fragile thing, one that is widely believed that a person has to grow into alone. Every little difficulty must be separated, contained, and eliminated; the proper steps must be taken to make sure that the goals, both long and short-term, and completed with efficiency.

Weather can easily devour the void of free time and work and with it dashes the hopes and dreams of a schedule. The necessity of timeliness in such an environment is crucial to anyone involved and it is expected to feel these effects during the more extreme seasons. However, with the rapid and unpredictable changes, the complaints have been going around: early allergy season, the epidemic throughout January, and the plans canceled due to sudden weather changes.

To a college student, these minor infractions of change can mean horrible disaster in the schedule of another. Considering the early coming of spring weather mixed with the occasional frost to kill plants, the growth of said plants isn't exactly ideal. Considering the lack of temperature and the heavy onset of the inversion layer in the valley, the snow sports have been lackluster at best, while we enviously watch the 2018 Olympics.

Considering the difficulties of the Green House Effect, we hope that the life of our hobbies and interest do not wither away in the face of weather, but all we can do is do our part and wait.