5 College Memories Everyone Should Make

5 College Memories Everyone Should Make

Nothing says "I'm an adult" like playing Pokemon Go at a fraternity live-out on a Saturday night

479
5 College Memories Everyone Should Make
pexels

Oh, college. A time full of new beginnings, more memories than you could ever imagine, and so many stereotypes and assumptions. Growing up we are basically given two possibilities for how our time at college will go down:

1. Homework, all-nighters, evil professors, killer exams, graduation

2. Partying, skipping class, poor decisions, failure, expulsion

The one thing that everyone agrees on is that your first years of college will involve a LOT of Top Ramen. The thing is, though, college is what you make of it. You can have it all; you've just got to prioritize and be realistic with yourself. The four (or five or six) years of your life are made up of your new independence, new friends, and are the start of your new life.

With two years down, it seemed like a good time to reflect on some of the ridiculous things I've done in college that I would have never guessed would be possible. I wouldn't trade (most of) these memories for the world.

1. Sledding on cookie sheets/pizza boxes/recycling bins/etc.

When you pack for school, you usually are not prepared for winter recreation. You are generally more concerned with buying hand warmers and making sure your snow boots are still waterproof. So when you are hit with the worst snow storms in years, grab whatever flat surfaces you can find and trek to the steepest snow-covered hill. Some kids will have snowboards, the lucky few snagged the two sleds left at the local Walmart, some will improvise with kitchenware, and others... will grab the closest empty garbage can and fill it with as many people as they can.

2. Playing Pokemon Go at a frat party.

Nothing says "I'm an adult!" like trying to conquer the closest Pokemon gym while surrounded by college students playing the final round of a Beer Pong competition at a fraternity live out. Am I trying to get in my 10,000 steps like every other Fitbit wearing girl on campus? Absolutely not. Give me the hatching of my 10K egg or give me death.

3. Dominos Dominos Dominos

This one is pretty darn self-explanatory. Having a bad day? Order Dominos. Cramming for three exams and a paper? Buy Dominos. Movie night with the friends? Dominos all around! They deliver, they are close to your college campus, they are there for you when nobody else is. Doms is bae, do not try to tell me otherwise.

4. All-nighters with the roomie

Whether you pulled them in high school or if you are losing your extreme sleep-deprivation virginity, nothing compares to those nights where your roommate and you find yourselves as desperate as college kids get. You buy snacks and lots of caffeine, charge that Bluetooth speaker so it's ready for your kick-butt playlists, and buckle down for what will be one of the most delirious yet memorable nights of your month.

5. Swimming in random bodies of water

There is just something appealing about being in college and filling that fantasy where all your friends go out and spend the day at the beach. When you don't have a beach, you improvise! Whether it is exploring the river feeding into a huge waterfall, driving to a lake, finding a real pool, or even jumping off a giant cliff into the water not far off the highway, this is one of those things that every college-goer should get to cross off their bucket list.

College is absolutely what you make of it. Yes, getting good grades and getting that degree are the ultimate goal, but that does not mean that you cannot have fun while you do that. Be yourself and just let go.