The Urban Dictionary Of The University Of South Carolina

USC=South Carolina; Carolina=South Carolina

863
Olivia Satterfield

With every college and university there comes a certain knowledge of words and phrases that will only make sense to the students. You encounter them every day, using them casually and lovingly because they bring you closer to your school. At Carolina, the lingo is endless and timeless. To an outsider looking in, here is a simple guide to the language of the Gamecocks.

1. Carolina

If you're anywhere in South Carolina, the correct "Carolina" is the University of South Carolina. Not a second thought crosses any Carolina student's mind when using this term; UNC does not ever make the cut.

2. Cocks

While the word might be unsavory to anyone other than a Carolina student, it's basically the holy grail. We plaster it on shirts, Instagram posts, gameday cheers, anything we can get our hands. Making us the best university in America, we use our mascot, the Gamecocks, to our advantage. So don't be alarmed if someone screams it at you.

3. SAFTB

Though not a term unique to Carolina, SAFTB is a kind of a battle cry for SEC schools. "Saturdays are for the boys" can be an explanation of a reckless action, a dismissal of an annoying girlfriend, or just a phrase to say.

4. USC

Anyone on this side of the country can tell you: the University of South Carolina is the original USC and will always be USC. There is no other USC. If you tell someone you go to USC, you go to school in South Carolina, not Southern California. It's simple.

5. The Horseshoe

It's not an accessory for a horse, though it is shaped like one. The Horseshoe is a common, historical place for USC students to go and enjoy green space. Part of the original campus, you can tell anyone on campus to meet you there and they will know exactly where to go. It inspired the name a famous bar downtown, so you might want to clarify which one you are referring to.

6. Cola/Soda City

I often find myself explaining to people who are not from Columbia, SC, what the "Cola" is I'm talking about. "Cola" is simply slang for "Columbia, and furthermore Soda City is a nickname from "Cola". We're lucky for such a cute nickname for Instagram and an easy urban marketing campaign strategy.

7. SLED

No, it's not another name for a toboggan. Formally known as "South Carolina Law Enforcement Division", SLED is the big boys. Many of the students participate in drinking downtown and in order to keep everything in order, SLED officers in khaki uniforms patrol the grimy bars and streets into the late night. Often a fear for many students, even the mention of SLED will send someone running.

8. Sandstorm

No, I'm not talking about a weather occurrence. After the release ofDare's Sandstorm, USC football has coined the song as our kick off song and the students created a routine with rally towels. Every person in the stadium waves their towel in the air and it is a sight every Carolina student knows. Remixes of the song have been played at tailgates, frat lots, bars, and parties; Sandstorm is an iconic Carolina tradition.

9. Sir Big Spur

While many college teams feature live mascots of their team, I believe that ours is special. Sir Big Spur sits on a motorized cart that is a model of the field and cheers the team on from the sidelines. While appearing to be slightly inhumane, the man that owns him is always at his side catering to his needs.

10. Chicken on a Stick

Probably not one of the most gourmet meals you will experience in Columbia, it will always satisfy after a long night of being downtown. Without even an official name, almost all Carolina students know of "Chicken on a Stick", a cheap meal made by a genuine and able cook outside of the Horseshoe Bar. It seems the best way to make money in Columbia is to feed inebriated kids late into the night.

11. Gamecock Jesus

A graduate from the 60s, Gamecock Jesus has been a fan for decades. Coming to every basketball game, he dresses in the same garb, supporting the team loudly and enthusiastically like no other fan. Often the team will extend special privileges to Gamecock Jesus and he has become a dear member of the Carolina community. Last year when the basketball team went to the final four, South Carolina fans raised $4,000 to send Gamecock Jesus to the game.

Whether you're coming to Carolina or just visiting, its important to know the culture and how important it is to us. We take our traditions seriously and the faster you join in, the happier you'll be. Go Cocks!