4 Reasons To Go To University of Minnesota

4 Reasons To Enroll At UMN That Have Nothing To Do With School

You might be failing all your classes, but look at that view...

127
Original Photo Courtesy of Sam Jirik

My first year at the University of Minnesota was more fun than I expected, and I'm excited to go back. Of course, I'd suggest the University for its experienced faculty and plethora of majors to explore, among other academic reasons. But there are other things that make UMTC that much more enjoyable.

1.There's a bridge, and it's pretty.

Original Photo Courtesy of Sam Jirik

A bridge connects the East and West Bank campuses of the University, and it's pretty. If you walk along the (heated) indoor corridor, you can enjoy the colorful wall panels carefully painted by the student groups on campus. Maybe you'll even take an interest in one (at least, that's the idea). If you walk along the outside railing, you can enjoy the view of the river passing under the bridge and the Minneapolis skyline, which looks brilliant at any time of day. It's hard for me to cross the bridge without stopping to take a picture (even knowing I already have so many). It's nice to have classes on the West Bank, because crossing the bridge never gets old.

2. The freshman dorms are surrounded by food.

Star Tribune

If you are assigned to any of the dormitories in the Superblock (Centennial Hall, Territorial Hall, Pioneer Hall or Frontier Hall), you'll be a short walk away from Chipotle, Starbucks, Caribou, Noodles & Co., Raising Cane's, Domino's, Jimmy John's and, my personal favorite, Punch Pizza. If at any time you get tired of the dining hall food (and you have the money), it's almost too easy to grab something to eat. While the proximity of good food to the dorms makes wallets sad, it makes stomachs happy.

3. Big schools aren't just for extroverts. 

Original Photo Courtesy of Sam Jirik

I'm about as much of an introvert as one can be, and, rather than being intimidated or overwhelmed, I feel comfortable at the U. It's certainly a fantastic place for extroverts: there's a new face around every corner and no shortage of parties and events to check out. But personally, I revel in the anonymity that 50,000 other students provide. If I feel like it, I can go as long as I want without seeing or talking to anyone I know. On the flipside, when I am feeling social, I have a small group of friends I can go to. At the U, there are so many student groups that you're bound to find somewhere to fit in, and, once you do, the U doesn't feel like such a big place anymore. I found my place in the Gold Standard Show Choir, and, while I made a few friends in my dorm, my show choir peers made up the majority of my social life during my freshman year.

4. Biking! 

Original Photo Courtesy of Sam Jirik

I've praised the biking at the University of Minnesota since I've started school there. The campus itself is extremely friendly to cyclists. There's a bike rack on every corner, and Washington Avenue, the main road going through campus, has a wide lane for cyclists and is only accessible to pedestrians, cyclists, buses and trains. Biking is a lot less nerve-racking when you don't have to worry about cars. As for recreational biking, it's easy to reach the bike path that weaves along the bank of the river and traverses a great many of the most picturesque and natural parts of the Twin Cities. It makes you forget you're in a bustling city, which is a welcome feeling every so often. As I've often written before, I believe a bike is required to fully take advantage of the Twin Cities.

The things I most appreciate about my college have nothing to do with academics, although living somewhere comfortable does make it easier to perform in school. If you're a prospective student, hopefully, this has swayed you; otherwise, I'd love to hear what little things you appreciate about your campus or community.