15 Places In The United States That You Need To Visit If You're An American

It looks like it's time for a road trip!

150
@tezzamb/Instagram

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about traveling. I've been to a lot of cool places, so I want to share a few of my favorite places in the United States as well as a few cities that are on my bucket list. Here are just a few places that you should have on your travel bucket list!

1. New York, NY

This is probably the most obvious city on the list because, well, frankly, NYC is an absolute must. I love New York and it's definitely one of my favorite cities in the country. However, my pro tip is to avoid tourist hotspots. I lived in NYC for two summers and the most fun I had was NOT in Times Square. Try exploring East Village or Greenwich Village. But obviously, you need to go to the Lincoln Center and see a performance at the Met. American Ballet Theatre and New York City Ballet are both incredible.

2. Washington DC

OK, another slightly too obvious choice, but it's our nation's capital! You need to go and check out the history. While I went when I was little, it's actually the next stop on my bucket list, so I cannot wait to go back next month!

3. Chicago, IL

Another big city you can't miss out on is Chicago. I'm slightly spoiled since I have always lived close to Chicago whether in a suburb or in southeast Wisconsin, so I've gotten to go a lot. While Chicago is definitely windy and chilly, it's worth checking out in December so you can go to the German Christmas market.

4. Nashville, TN

Even if you're not the biggest fan of country music, Nashville still needs to be on your bucket list. There are so many things to do in Nashville besides listening to country music. You can check out the Parthenon, go shopping, or do visit historical Civil War landmarks. Franklin, TN is also super close, and that's honestly the cutest town in all of America.

5. Atlanta, GA

Atlanta is another big city you need to visit. There are a ton of good restaurants and the shopping is excellent. The Coca-Cola Factory is also a must-see even though it's a total tourist attraction. However, be cautious when you're trying the Italian sodas in the taste testing room because Beverly is absolutely atrocious.

6. Denver, CO

I used to live outside of Denver, so I'm a little biased, but the entire state of Colorado is phenomenal. It's probably my favorite state as a whole-- and I've been to 45 of them. The Rocky Mountains are so breathtakingly beautiful that it's worth the trek out to Colorado just to see them if you don't even do anything in Denver besides gape at the landscape.

7. The Grand Canyon, AZ

The Grand Canyon is simply something you need to see. It doesn't matter if you're an American or not-- every single human on this planet should see the Grand Canyon at least once. It's absolutely sublime.

See also: 11 Places To Check Out Between Orange Beach, AL & Grayton Beach, FL

8. Savannah, GA

I actually haven't been to Savannah, but from what I've seen online and heard from my friends who've gone, it's a must-see. The architecture is stunning and everything has a very charming feel. I heard the food is great there as well.

9. Miami, FL

Miami is such a cool city. While it has a reputation for non-stop partying, there are actually a lot of other things to do in Miami. My boyfriend and I went two years ago and we stayed in Coconut Grove which is a historical part of town. Everything there was so adorable, so I highly recommend it. We also went to Villa Vizcaya, which is a super awesome mansion which incredible gardens. Seriously, if you go to Miami, take a break from your partying and check out Coconut Grove.

10. Seattle, Washington

Sadly, I've never been to Washington. However, Seattle looks like such a cool city. Also, as a huge "Grey's Anatomy" fan, I just have to go and take a ferry boat ride.

11. Orlando, FL

So, obviously, Orlando is a major tourist attraction. However, it's a tourist attraction for good reason. I love Disney World. I think everyone should go to Disney World and Epcot at least once-- but preferably more in their life.

12. Los Angeles, CA

I was born in California but I don't think I have very much memory of Los Angeles if I ever went. I remember going to Disneyland, but that's in Anaheim. Since Disney World already made the list, we'll just stick to Los Angeles here. However, I personally prefer Disneyland to Disney World. Anyways, everyone says Los Angeles is a must, and you might as well check out the shopping while you're there.

13. Houston, TX

Houston is a really fun city, especially if you're from the north. I went to Houston when I was in high school, so I wasn't going to college in Alabama yet, so Houston was so radically different for me. I have to say, the Galleria is a mall you need to shop at and Houston is also fairly close to the beach, so I give it a thumbs up!

14. Las Vegas, NV

I haven't been to Las Vegas, but it's on my bucket list for sure. There are so many cool tourist attractions-- and even though I'm not the biggest fan of tourist attractions, I still want to go to Las Vegas to see what all the hype is about.

15. New Orleans, LA

This is another city I haven't actually had the chance to check out yet, but I've been to Mobile, AL, which is apparently like a miniature version of New Orleans, and I loved it. New Orleans just has so much history, which is the primary reason why I have it on my list. I just want to learn more about the city and its rich culture.

Now it's time to start exploring these really awesome cities right here in the United States! It looks like it's time for a road trip!