8 Struggles That People With Unisex Names Understand

To start this off, personally, my name is Andi, and the struggle of having a unisex name came early for me in life, considering my dads name is Andrew.

286

I know for myself, having a unisex name that is usually thought to be a guys name has at times put me in a lot of awkward situations, but I'm sure I can say for all of us out there with these types of names, we usually get a good laugh out of these situations.

1. When elementary school teachers would try to make a seating chart with two boys and two girls at each table before the school year would start.

We would always throw the teachers off when on the first day there would be one too many boys or girls at a table.

2. When you had a substitute teacher and they would go through roll call.

They get to your name, you raise your hand and say "here", and they look at you and say "oh...I was looking for a boy/girl".

3. People always try to argue if your name is more masculine or feminine.

My name is Andi, so you can probably guess how this goes for me.

4. Depending on your name, there could be a variety of ways to spell it...this also causes the same argument.

Sticking with my name, you could have: Andi, Andie, Andy, or Andee.

5. "Wow you're the first boy/girl I've met with that name"

It seems to be amazing to people when they meet someone with a unisex name that is commonly a guy/girl name.

6. When you have a unisex name that is short for another name.

I know for me, if I go somewhere where I have to give my name for an order, I always have to be listening for two names; my own name, and the name Andrew. I have missed so many orders before because of this.

7. When you're in class, with friend group, at school, on a team, or at a place of work with someone who has the same name.

You'll think someone is talking about or calling you, but they they follow their sentence with "no I was talking about the guy ____ or the girl ____"

8. You have thought about marrying someone with your same name.

Could you imagine living with someone that has your same exact full name?