Understanding White Supremacy's Black Soultions

How to Properly Understand White Supremacy and Black Dialogue

327
Google Images

One book alone is unable to cover this material reasonably, so I condense my thoughts into this one article. The first solution is to read, which I hope some will do. White supremacy is a power structure that encompasses institutionalized racism and white privilege. Black dialogue certifies that praying, fighting, taking political/economic action, embracing cultural heritage and maintaining self-discipline to regulate consciousness, are a few keys needed to freeing the black community of mental oppression. If you’re fighting against, you haven't a clue that you’re already at odds with losing common ground, but if you’re fighting for, then you’ve listened in on how to commit action in different areas. Who you’re fighting, as opposed to what you’re fighting for, is what makes all the difference. What the world is able to experience through our eyes, are ways that we extend societal problems beyond ourselves to better find solutions through forms of reasonable dialogue and togetherness. This not only emphasizes our lifestyle as a communal group of individual beings, but also the stories of others who feel economically marginalized on many levels.

Black Dialogue. Not only my own culture clash being at the heart of this conversation, but the simple fact that the black community speaks in terms of we and us. To express a stronger need for individual tone carries a silent rhetoric, though what’s portrayed is the quick answer for individual expression longing for travel to Africa, the motherland of our human development.

The need for this travel absolves an increasing amount of mental stress that seems to almost begin from the questioning of natural differences among ourselves as children when we actively engage with others around us. Certainly, these differences vary between one another, either knowing or not knowing specific information is greatly affected in terms of how well, action and education are communicated; but how must one be blamed for what he or she is uninformed to? Africa easily relates to black Americans, but do black Americans relate to Afrika in that same manner? By spelling the same word in a dissimilar way, speaks to the parallel that I suggest. In a sense, sharing, building, collaborating, unity, faith and justice are all inherent values we fight for as a people, describing each foundation upon which we try defining ourselves, but what else is there?

With a few exceptions, truth and light are at the core of Afrika’s origin and at this point, the word assimilate comes to fruition. According to the New Webster’s Dictionary, assimilate means “to become similar or of the same substance.”

Assimilate is the root of assimilation and this term refers to integrating into the majority, to become similar to others or by way of adapting to instill new information. When these words are given power, an alteration arises regarding the perception of systematic prejudice between African-American viewpoints. Limited access to wealth and opportunity stretch the boundaries of conversation for not only black citizens in America, but also for whomever we communicate our struggle to, which is most often the majority population. To regulate our consciousness through self-discipline doesn’t keep us fully aware of our capability as human beings and we eventually assimilate to the direction of a majority voice. We’d rather “forget” the history and culture unknown to some and set it aside because living without compromising an individual standard of living is more comfortable. Once the disassociation is made, that instance tears away from the whole message or standpoint in the first place.

White Supremacy’s Ideology. The free world or free society, somehow reflects a mass appeal that is essentially better than accepting a cultural difference for what it is. Since we think we’re more separated as a people when exploiting these lifestyles through verbal actions, we actually commit to the opposite behavior in response. The fundamental aspect of this notion is the word “we” and whose included in that term or phrase. White ideology is the driving force of American culture, especially given that mass appeal is the majority of this ethnic group’s cultural traditions within our country. Whether we agree or disagree on what’s American is another form of discourse, but as those who cry out for justice remain, the lesser population sits idle, comfortably digging a deeper hole that they’re repeatedly told to climb out of by the same seekers of a post racial society. This idea of a post-racial society transcends nirvana, but society as a whole would never reach that plateau as long as America’s vision continues excluding disenfranchised groups of people, that offer more than just American culture. American culture doesn’t really exist because whenever we do seem to consider similar beliefs, the outcome reflects positive change towards a higher conscious for the “broader society, goal-seeking” American.

So assimilation again, is the term that brings a certain level of significance to this idea. Don’t you wonder why ethnic groups that feel ostracized in this country seem to always fight in order to just simply include themselves? Wanting to feel a part of what we constantly paint ourselves to be, is a form of modernization or wanting to modernize oneself. To modernize is “to adapt to modern ideas, style, or language.” We’re already the same, but the main similarity between each of our unrepresented groups is that our collective differences were used to build a system around the collective freedoms “we” think we share. Minorities alike are able to change their circumstances with accessibility to information and knowledge as well as opportunity, but this invisible blanket of white privilege covers where to look. Of course this term wouldn’t actually exist unless otherwise was foretold, but the amusing part is that we all have contributed to America’s modernization today, some more than others. Now what isn’t explained to help bridge the gap, is a full set of interesting solutions from all sides instead of one side accepted as absolute, which is also absolutely false. And from this idea I’m reminded that everyone is looking for an answer. That answer could be your voice and actions, but for some who do pledge their contributions, may feel as if too many words create corrupt leaders and too many actions create corrupt followers.

Media Implications. The need to prepare for discussion regarding the constant application of mass appeal through media airwaves presenting statistical information, becomes daunting because it’s only a quick glimpse at manufactured information. This drives angst toward conversing racism, equal justice in law enforcement, prejudice and equal opportunity because it takes less effort to blame the direction in which news reports guide us. At the same time one still must question how much he or she can actually use a number of social media outlets to their advantage and contribute to the conversation being had. In doing so, some eventually discover the work already done to inform others on how to properly get involved at the time.

This quick outlook to furthering information that must be researched, also changes the identity of social media outlets and by changing something that is free to speech, changes how material is viewed in a certain light. Social media is one of the fastest, if not the fastest, point of access to practice our first amendment right. A collective rebellion seems to always follow behind, pushing against an invisible wall just to portray an argument formulated as logical questioning. Asking the right questions are a part of what we learn throughout education, but how do we educate through these platforms in the right way? I think a basic principle of this educational tool is to help advance for the greater good, not on what to question, but when to question and question sensibly. Media coverage also provides the public with a fortune of implicitly biased information, to the point where independent news outlets gain less attention and the facts are much more difficult to find or comprehend. As a result, many aspects that fall between the layers of a cultural ethnic group are assumed and open for not only ridicule and judgment, but misappropriating. The black community has suffered for some time in our media airwaves and its duly noted that popular culture as the driving force of America seems to put on display a lifestyle that doesn’t cover the full story of a community with just as many stories that have molded countless parts of this country.

For a few examples to support my notion, sports entertainment, music, clothing, education, tourism, food and etc. have opened the doors for individuals across the world to seek out the best ways to encounter success. The term that comes to mind is cultural appropriation. Culture is an identity based on religious and spiritual beliefs, language and family values. Appropriation is the action of taking something for one’s own use. When these two are put together the meaning reiterates the “use or adoption of elements from one culture by members of another.” We’ve seen an enormous amount of support given to our black community for years, but the language that follows ensues that black people are a part of “our” community, as if we are discredited for the things we’ve built, shared and discovered. But the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree because the direct motive for our media coverage has been shown within the current presidential election on behalf of Bernie Sanders and in 2008 with Ron Paul. So the way that we perceive our information is highly important, because by missing the mark on a simple message for one community in America, is missing the mark on ourselves as a whole community that shares a dream in this country.

Consciousness. All Lives Matter! Because the human race is what’s more significant than creating dialogue. This is certainly an important matter in terms of an uplifting or feeling of ease once you provide yourself with the necessary knowledge and wisdom that surrounds our lives. Not believing in one thing is believing in everything and believing in everything is a reason for believing. And given that reasoning, is the possibility that everything occurs for that reason because something higher and greater leads me to do so. For the good of humanity is the good of a few and right now in our day of age we are finally beginning to hold each other accountable for what we know instead of look like. That paradigm shift just so happens to confuse our search for identity as Americans, in which this country has not and never will exist with one. On a path to self-identify as Black in America, is the farther away one reaches from their own, to be something that never actually existed.

What did exist included: Black Wall Streets in Durham, North Carolina, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Richmond, Virginia, the deportation of Marcus Garvey by US Supreme Court Law, Ella Baker’s grassroots movement, the beginning of Jazz in New Orleans, the presidential campaign run by Shirley Chisholm and sadly enough slavery, it really did exist! Before we come to terms with a better reality for our lives as a whole we must not confuse race with human identity and accolade, it is and always will be a part of human history. Race must remain as a significant portion of what our youth should be taught in order to understand as well as embrace their differences. If our youth are unable to identify with what makes them unique and special, as should all children, they’ll never understand the conscious, physical, mental and academic weight that becomes hard to lift when relative struggles require guidance from their peers, educators and guardians. The simple fact is that recreating yourself over and over, is truly an American-made hassle.

Pragmatic Actions. Using the millennial’s voice for productive discourse to confront systematic oppression, racism/prejudice and white privilege, is the same aspect that challenges this path to exploring new and creative solutions to our ways of living. We don’t necessarily know how to converse, which furthers a lost understanding on what diversity looks like. Understanding the context before reaching action is the most important. When systematic oppression enters the dialogue, law enforcement and equal justice initiatives are the subtext. Racism and prejudice are the key aspects of racial profiling, media and are sometimes discussed on behalf of affirmative action. For clarity, affirmative action is a policy set in place to prohibit discrimination between applicants and ensure equal opportunity for business employment and consideration for recruiting in higher education.

• The first of these measures to be taken is accountability. Accountability means being held accountable or expected to assume a role of responsibility. Even further, self-accountability is the middle piece to the puzzle, in which we must hold ourselves accountable for what we individually know and are willing to communicate. By being self-accountable we hold ourselves to a standard and are more than willing to admit when we’re wrong as individuals, which is important because if we take the time to listen and then communicate after doing the necessary research, we’ll have a better chance at moving forward as one. When we hold ourselves accountable, then we can begin to hold others accountable, especially our police departments.
  • Another important piece involves education. Though doing research is part of this, we must also educate others. The younger generation suffers at the base level of not acquiring the knowledge needed to reach sustainability, monetary gain and spiritual wealth. Most of these things do come with time, but at an early age children are unable to part with what their beginning stages offer them so long as their upbringing starts with positive intentions from their parents. Education is important to building up our communities, holding our families in place and most definitely framing our school systems to equip that knowledge.
  • I honestly believe that representation is key and for the reasons of instilling confidence and self-motivation to trust in one’s background. It surely doesn’t matter where any of us come from, but from wherever we are we should always be able to learn that we can go wherever we desire. As individuals we can make a home out of another country, but there are still those that feel they’d never get the opportunity. Some feel trapped and believe that they’ll never make it out and that narrative signals an immediate change.
  • Listening to individual black people and their stories or simply put ”black dialogue.” By listening to others we can always gain access to information we never knew before, but the people going through these situations must lead the conversation. I’m not saying all black folks are knowledgeable to what goes on around them, but just giving a person five minutes or listening to credible sources of information from leaders like Dr. Cornel West or Roland Martin, can go a long way to changing lives. Are we really fighting for peace to shut opinions out or for a peace where at least most of us are on the same page.
  • For those who want to make an economic impact, protesting is a sure way to gain attention. Boycotting materials and goods as a “form of protest,” emphasizes the purpose of groups like The Black Panthers and the Revolutionary Action Movement. Boycotting bus transportation in Montgomery during the Dr. King and Malcolm X era, exercising our second amendment right to bear arms as protection, the SNCC led by student protesters who committed to sit-in campaigns and even Booker T. Washington’s Freedmen’s Bureau back in 1865.

These that appear dignified in their form, as a basis for solutions, must critically improve. Though these basics never change much often, self-reliance on financial freedom and the protection of our families, are usually stated, yet never explained. By exploiting each of these actions while keeping these two major solutions in foresight, community preservation results as the outcome. Preserving a community is the preservation of life and with that, the greater chance of eliminating further negative possibilities that remain open for discussion against people fighting to live.

Representing Facts. These are the facts that exist. Black America is not in as bad of a condition as much often perpetuated. A part of today’s facts still focus on subject matters that involve the School to Prison Pipeline, Police Brutality in Law Enforcement, Segregation within the Housing Market or Gentrification, Depletion of Educational Resources Provided to Minorities and The Effect of Mental Stress On Black Families. As a country we have improved in some areas, but as a start to research I provide a few links in this section that may be helpful.

Reflect on Black Victories. In the year of 2016 I can honestly say that Black America has certainly come a long way and a list of victories within these recent years have alluded to this fact. As a community we have banded together to open our ears, converse our lifestyles and learn from one another. I believe that we can only get better as we continue moving forward here in our county. Just to name a few instances that caught my eye throughout the country I applaud those who were brave enough to step up to the call of action. I commend the athletes of Missouri University’s Football Team for boycotting their campus and demanding justice by relieving themselves from participation in any further games until action was taken on behalf of their school’s administration. As a result, former president of Missouri University Tim Wolfe, stepped down and resigned. I appreciate Governor Nikki Haley of Charleston, South Carolina, for taking down the Confederate Flag from the State House in support of Minister Clementa C. Pinckney after a mass shooting committed by Dylan Roof. I am proud of the education reform efforts confronted by the Board of Education in Baltimore, Maryland after protests rang out in agony in support of Freddie Gray. And lastly, protesters from the Black Lives Matter movement along with other organizational grassroots leaders, ousted Donald Trump’s rally campaign in Chicago, Illinois, which spewed nothing, but hate, bigotry and separatism. I congratulate DeRay McKesson in terms of running for Mayor of Baltimore, because though he may not have won, there are still more like him that will be more than capable or qualified to do the job. The important part is that someone hears his story. Now the reason I mention all of this is because the black community is finally able to discuss what each of these terms and stories mean, given that we no longer physically fight black & white in the streets of our neighborhoods. These terms and information also help us find multiple ways to explain how we’re affected as a community throughout our collective history in America. We no longer have to denounce the positive effects of economic policy, voting participation and etc., and believe that our fight for civil rights wasn’t in vain. Now our collective mission is to fight for human rights.