Understanding the Loss of a Pet

Understanding the Loss of a Pet

A loss that is never an easy one

20
Understanding the Loss of a Pet
Wow Amazing

Coping with the loss of a pet is beyond difficult, and something that most people have had to do. Whether is was a cat, dog, or any other animal, losing them was something we knew would be inevitable, but still hoped would never happen. Grieving the loss of your beloved friend is a process that could last for months, but some people just don't get it; they don't understand how some people get so upset about losing a pet, or why it takes so long to get over it. The truth of the matter is that sometimes losing a pet is as painful as losing a person close to you.

It's so easy for a family pet to quickly become your best friend, your shoulder to cry on, your running buddy, your movie partner, and the one who keeps all of your secrets. We've watched them grow out of their tiny little bodies, and leave their baby ways behind - but they will always be a baby in our hearts. That being said, when it comes time to let them go, it can be one of the most difficult moments in your life. Having to decide whether you should put them down, or let them pass naturally, is a hard enough decision to make. They're your best friend, and you have to make the decision that is best for them, no matter how much it breaks your heart.

For some people, there is stronger bond between them and their animal, rather than them and another human being. Animals show us compassion, emotional support, and a sense of companionship while reciprocating all of the love with give to them. The bond you share with your pet is one that is essential to not just their health, but yours too. Just spending a few minutes with them boosts your overall moral. It's these exact reasons why so many people with disabilities have support animals, too; they provide for us, protect us, and comfort us. They're always there for us when we need it most. They're there to pick us up when we're down, and keep us going when we have seem to have lost all hope and motivation. That is why our pets are our best friends. That is why it is so hard to let them go. That is why pet owners are so heartbroken when it's time to say goodbye.

There is a poem, titled "Rainbow Bridge," written by an unknown author, that is often shared when a pet passes on. It's beautiful, and perfectly depicts everything we hope our best friend will get when they leave us behind. The poem reminds us that this isn't "goodbye," it's "see you soon." So, for all of the friends we have had to say goodbye to, and for all of the grieving pet owners out there, this one is for you:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...