How To Understand Pittsburghese

How To Understand Pittsburghese

A dictionary of the 23 most basic words and phrases that only true Pittsburghers say.

737
How To Understand Pittsburghese

If you're lucky enough to live in Pittsburgh, you probably speak fluent Pittsburghese. If you don't speak Pittsburghese, consider this a dictionary of 23 of the most basic words and phrases that only true Pittsburghers say.

1. Brights

In Pittsburgh, this is another words for "high beams". For example: The guy in the other lane has his brights on and he's blinding me!"

2. Hoagie

Also known as a sandwich or sub. And if you're from Pittsburgh, you probably put fries on it too.

3. Gumband

The Pittsburgh way of saying rubber band.

4. Pop

If you're not from Pittsburgh, you would probably call this soda.

5. Jimmies

Otherwise known as sprinkles.

6. DahnTahn

Ahhh lovely DahnTahn (downtown) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

7. Crick

If you're from Pittsburgh this is a picture of a crick. Otherwise, you know this as a creek,

8. Kranz

Most people call these cra-yons. Not if you're from Pittsburgh!

9. Spicket

If you're not from Pittsburgh you probably have no idea what a spickit is. Well, here ya go! It's also called a faucet.

10. Clicker

As you can see, there are a lot of different kinds of remote controls. But there's only one clicker and it's from Pittsburgh!

11. Yellow

Chances are you've called someone who lives in Pittsburgh and they answered the phone and said "mmmmyellow!" ...Most people just say hello, however.

12. Ahr

"You've got one ahr till it's time to go!"

13. Nebby

If you use the word "nebby" you're from Pittsburgh. If you use the word nosey, you're from somewhere else.

14. Worsh

If you actually pronounce "wash" as "wash" you're not a true Pittsburgher. Only real Pittsburghers say "worsh".

15. Stillers

Pittsburgh. Home of the Pittsburgh Stillers. Nuff said.

16. Haus

In Pittsburgh, when we invite someone over, we say "You wanna come over ta my haus on mondy?" (You want to come over to my house on Monday?)

17. Red-up

When you live in Pittsburgh and you have to quickly clean up the house, you most likely refer to it as having to "red up" the house.

19. N'at

It's appropriate to say N'at instead of saying "And so on". For example: I went dahn ta the store to get some food n'at"

20. Buggy

This here is a shopping cart. But if you're from the wonderful Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, you probably have called it a buggy at some point.

21. Slippy

Another word for slippery.

22. Prolly

Unfortuantly this is too accurate. Pittsburghers use the word prolly more often than not and if you're not from Pittsburgh, you prolly" don't understand.

23. Yinz

Lastly, the most famous Pittsburgh word-- Yinz is basically just another way of saying y'all or you guys but at least y'all and you guys is known by other states. Yinz is strictly Pittsburgh and all Pittsburghers should be proud.