8 Underrated Travel Destinations That Need To Be On Your Bucket List

I know they're on mine!

84
Jabuka.TV

1. Iceland

Iceland is one of the most underrated, underappreciated travel destinations in Europe. While it's not apart of continental Europe, it still offers just as much, if not more beauty than all of the more popular European countries. There are blue lagoons that stay at around 100 degrees Fahrenheit all year round, a fissure between the North American and Eurasian continental plates that you can scuba dive in, volcanoes, glaciers, ice caves, and you can see the northern lights. Not to mention, the capital, Reykjavik, is one of the most peaceful cities in the entire world. Iceland is most definitely at the top of my bucket list.

2. Calabria and Sicily, Italy

Now I'm not going to lie, all of Italy is absolutely gorgeous. I've only been to Sorrento and Rome and I can only imagine how amazing the rest of it is, as well. Especially the beautiful island of Sicily and the region of Calabria, which is the tip of the Italian boot that is kicking Sicily. Italy is an extremely popular tourist destination, but most people go to places like Rome, Sorrento, Venice, Pisa and Florence. Sicily and Calabria are not too touristy, yet they are probably the most beautiful regions in Italy. Book your next flight before everyone else finds out!

3. Slovenia

Since Slovenia is surrounded by countries that are much more popular, it usually gets overlooked. Even so, Slovenia is one of Europe's true gems that lies under the radar for most tourists, making it the perfect adventure for your next trip! There's the picturesque Lake Bled with a beautiful church placed right in the middle of it and Bled Castle just a hike away. Also, Ljubljana is one of the most beautiful and quaint capitals in the world. Slovenia truly offers an experience like no other.

4. Portugal

Portugal is a destination that is slowly becoming more and more popular among tourists. Like its neighboring country, Spain, which has always been extremely touristy, Portugal also has the gorgeous beaches, but on the Atlantic, and even the Azores Islands, which have gained a lot of popularity in recent years. Portugal has loads of adventure for anyone seeking it. The capital, Lisbon, is actually the second oldest capital city in Europe (behind Athens, of course), so it has a rich history behind it as well. We better get to Portugal before it gets completely swarmed with tourists!

5. Athens, Greece

Ah, Athens--the only location on this list that I have actually visited and can one hundred percent attest to its amazement. Athens truly wowed me. The first thing that is necessary for an American traveler to do in Athens is to get over their expectations. Athens was much different than I expected because it was dirty and run down in a lot of places (I should've expected that with Greece's financial situation), but it was also so breathtakingly beautiful in some other parts. The history of Athens is incredible in itself and enough reason alone to visit the city. The reason I push Athens so much over other places in Greece is because of the intense popularity with the Greek islands, specifically Santorini and Mykonos. While they are both very beautiful (I have never been), my tour guide in Athens who was from Greece, told us that they really don't showcase Greek life and culture like the mainland because they are so touristy now. Even though the islands are wonderful places to visit, there's no other place to experience true Greece like Athens.

6. Egypt

One reason to visit Egypt: the Pyramids of Giza, which is the only remaining of the seven wonders of the ancient world. That. Is. Awesome. There are also plenty of other reasons to visit this incredible country like to see the sphinx, eat delicious Egyptian cuisine, visit the Cairo markets, hit the beach at the Red Sea, cruise down the Nile, explore the gorgeous Alexandria, and see endless temples. Egypt is full of wonder and currently not full of tourists due to the shaky situation it is in right now. While it may not be the safest of the options on this list, it's definitely not extremely dangerous and you would have a lot of the previously known tourist spots to yourself. It's definitely a place to give some thought.

7. Austria

Austria is home to some of the most wonderful musicians to ever live, including Mozart, whose childhood home is in Salzburg. Besides the amazing art, music, culture and history scene in Vienna, Austria is full of small villages that lie around the alps. If this all isn't reason enough to book a plane ticket right now, you can even retrace the footsteps of the Von Trapp family, from the Sound of Music. As a history buff and a Sound of Music fanatic, Austria is at the very top of my bucket list.

8. Capetown, South Africa

The final place on this list, although there are plenty more underrated destinations out there, is Capetown, South Africa. When most Americans imagine going on an international trip, they usually picture Europe and very rarely do they picture Africa. At the slight chance that they do picture Africa, it is usually Northern Africa, which is easily accessible by Europe. Capetown is insane. It is the city on the very tip of Africa filled with beaches, mountains and everything in between. The vibrant city life of Capetown has in the more recent years become quite toursity, but not really with American people. I think it's absolutely imminent that Americans hop on the bandwagon that is Capetown, South Africa because we are truly missing out.