19 Underrated Songs You Need To Listen To Right Now

Because music is such a big part of our lives.

9309

Out of the hundreds of thousands of songs that get released every year, we only get to hear a select few of them. This is because radio people get a hold of what seems like seven songs and then play them over, and over, and over again. But sometimes, really great songs either from artists who are just starting out or those who have released extra songs that didn't make it to their latest album slip under our radar, and only a few of us are able to really experience their greatness. Come experience the greatness with me.

1. "Where's My Love" - SYML

Where I First Heard It:Teen Wolf

Why I Love It: Teen Wolf always had the BEST songs, and this was one of the many songs from that show that I just HAD to download. SYML is still a very unknown and underrated singer, but all of his songs are so beautiful and calming. Definitely check out the rest of SYML's songs as he continues to grow in popularity.

2. "Count On Me" - NEEDTOBREATHE

Where I First Heard It: Riverdale

Why I Love It: You may realize as you continue to read this article that I discover most of my songs from the TV shows I watch. I just heard this song a couple of weeks ago during the show Riverdale. I instantly fell in love and downloaded the song almost immediately. I have on my to-do list to listen to the other songs from this great band.

3. "Torches" - X Ambassadors

Where I First Heard It: YouTube

Why I Love It: I absolutely love X Ambassadors! I discovered this band when their single "Renegade" was popular a few years ago. I first heard this song while browsing YouTube a few months ago. X Ambassadors is very unique with their indie rock style with their calming vocals.

4. Sia's Songs In General

Sia is a VERY underrated artist. She has too many underrated songs to mention every single one in this article. Her lyrics are always so powerful and meaningful, yet not a lot of people listen to her songs or even know about her. Maybe it's because she is a very private person, but she definitely deserves more recognition. She is, after all, my favorite singer. And my favorite Sia song is probably "My Love."

Most people know about her popular singles, such as "Cheap Thrills," "Chandelier," or "The Greatest." But not many people know about her other very well-written songs such as, "Bird Set Free," "Life Jacket," "I Forgive You," "Broken Glass," "Big Girls Cry," "Dressed In Black," "Soon We'll Be Found," "She Wolf," "Space Between," and "Straight For The Knife."

5. "I Miss You" - Adele

Where I First Heard It: YouTube

Why I Love It: Adele's album "25" was an absolute MASTERPIECE! There were SO many good songs on this album, but some of my favorite songs on the album were overshadowed by her popular singles, "Hello" and "Send My Love." "I Miss You" is probably my favorite Adele song of all time. Between the wicked drum beat and her killer vocals, there is nothing to hate about this song.

6. "River Lea" - Adele

Where I First Heard It: YouTube

Why I Love It: This is my second favorite Adele song. It is so different from her usual style of songs, but I LOVE IT!

7. "It Was Always You" - Maroon 5

Where I First Heard It: Work

Why I Love It: I'm not a huge fan of Maroon 5's newer songs, but I do LOVE this one. I heard this song while I was at work, and I instantly needed to know what the song title was so that I could download it later that night. I'm obsessed.

8. "Hold Back The River" - James Bay

Where I First Heard It: Radio

Why I Love It: While everyone was obsessing with James Bay's song "Let It Go," I was obsessing over this song that shockingly didn't do very well on the charts. James Bay reminds me of mixture of Hozier and the Lumineers with his acoustic folk style songs.

9. "Roslyn" - Bon Iver

Where I First Heard It: Pandora

Why I Love It: This is my go-to rainy morning song because it is so mellow, calming, and relaxing. I heard it first on my Pandora radio, but I was shocked to find out that it came from one of the Twilight movies (ugh, ew). Despite this being a Twilight song, I absolutely love it and its simplicity.

10. "Like Real People Do" - Hozier

Where I First Heard It: Teen Wolf

Why I Love It: Hozier is well known for his song "Take Me To Church," but he has many other great songs as well. He has such a unique folk indie style and voice that makes me fall in love with all of his songs.

11. "Work Song" - Hozier

Where I First Heard It: Dance recital

Why I Love It: It is my second favorite underrated Hozier song! Between the talented dancers during the dance recital and the catchy melody of this song, it wasn't hard for me to instantly fall in love with it.

12. "The Night We Met" - Lord Huron

Where I First Heard It: 13 Reasons Why

Why I Love It: This song always gives me the feels whenever I listen to it. This song makes me feel really sad but really peaceful at the same time. It's one of those songs that I love to blast when I'm driving on a late summer night with my windows rolled down.

13. "Thousand Miles" - Tove Lo

Where I First Heard It: Pandora

Why I Love It: I got really into Tove Lo over the summer when her songs would come on my Pandora station. This was my favorite song that always played. Tove Lo is known for her songs "Habits" and "Talking Body," but tbh this song is better than both of those songs combined. Her vocals on this song are chilling and amazing.

14. "Instead" - Ryan Amador

Where I First Heard It: Mather Dance Company choreography video on Youtube

Why I Love It: While their dance routine was INCREDIBLE, I fell in love with the song. I love the simplicity of the instruments and the story that is told in the lyrics.

15. "Towards The Sun" - Rihanna

Where I First Heard It: DreamWorks movie, Home

Why I Love It: OKAY this song is from the kid's movie Home, but OMG this song is so catchy and great. This song actually gives me chills because of Rihanna's awesome vocals.

16. "Waves" - Dean Lewis

Where I First Heard It: Riverdale

Why I Love It: Dean Lewis' voice reminded me of Shawn Mendes, and before I discovered who sang this song, I thought it WAS Shawn Mendes singing.

17. "Way Down We Go" - Kaleo

Where I First Heard It: Riverdale

Why I Love It: Riverdale has good songs just like Teen Wolf did. When I first downloaded it, I listened to it on REPEAT for about a week. It is so haunting and fantastic.

18. "I Know Places" - Taylor Swift

Where I First Heard It: 1989 album

Why I Love It: This song got overshadowed by "Shake It Off" and "Blank Space," but "I Know Places" is my favorite song on Taylor Swift's 1989 album. The lyrics and symbolism in this song are incredible (This song is obviously about Calvin Harris when they were dating). HIGHLY UNDERRATED!!!

19. "Safe and Sound" - Taylor Swift feat. The Civil Wars

Where I First Heard It: Youtube

Why I Love It: This Taylor Swift song was on the Hunger Games soundtrack. It is so hauntingly beautiful and unlike anything else that Taylor writes/sings. LISTEN TO IT!!! (The music video is also really great.)

Some of these artists aren't new or on the rise, but they might be new to you and deserve a listen. Go listen to these amazing songs!