Top 8 Underrated Shows On Netflix

Top 8 Underrated Shows On Netflix

Aka your next binge-watching session

258
Top 8 Underrated Shows On Netflix
What's On Netflix

Netflix has hundreds of shows. Everyone knows about the popular hits like The Office and Doctor Who, but there are so many underrated shows that deserve to be praised and talked about. Here are a few of my favorites.

1. Better Off Ted

This show is a wonderful blend of office humor and hi-jinks. Shot in a similar format to The Office or Parks and Recreation, this show is part documentary and part comedy. It showcases the life of Ted Crisp, a single father as well as the Head of the Research and Development Department at Veridian Dynamics. We follow his journey as the primary moral compass for this occasionally offensive and morally wrong company. With quirky supporting characters including his boss Veronica, daughter Rose, and wacky scientists Phil and Lem, this show is a hit for anyone looking for a satirical comedy.

2. Dollhouse

Going in a completely different direction, we get to the thrilling sci-fi show Dollhouse. With it's tantalizing twists and turns and intriguing characters, this show will keep you on the edge of your seat. Written by Joss Whedon, Dollhouse features one of the most interesting concepts I've ever seen. Imagine you can rent people. You go through a place called The Dollhouse where they have "actives," or dolls as they are sometimes called, that can have any personality implemented into their minds. They can become whatever you want. Echo, played by Eliza Dushko, is one of these dolls. The shows revolves around her trying to figure out who she really is and how she ended up at The Dollhouse. This show has its moments of comedy, but is primarily a serious psychological thriller. With science fiction aspects and suspenseful plots, you'll be on the edge of your seat.

3. Chuck

Created by Josh Schwartz and Chris Fedak, Chuck is...well, it's a lot of things to be honest. It features drama, romance, comedy, spies, murder, intrigue, secrets, lies, and thrills. You can't go wrong with this American action-comedy. Starring Zachary Levi as the title character, this show is about a normal man named Chuck Bartowski who ends up in completely abnormal circumstances. Though he's more than capable of working his way around computers at his job in the Nerd Herd, Chuck is completely out of his element when he ends up with a super secret computer inside his head. As he's thrown into a world of NSA, CIA, and FBI agents, he must learn to control the Intersect instead of letting it control him.

4. Dark Matter

Dark Matter is a Canadian science fiction series that takes place in outer space. Six people wake up with no memory of who they are, where they came from, or why they're on a spaceship. Naming themselves One through Six, based on the order they woke up in, these six strangers attempt to piece together their lives. They encounter dangerous people and situations along the way and find themselves fighting for their safety and their memories. This show is a must-watch for any fans of Sci-Fi and plot twists or anybody who likes to a good mystery.

5. Young & Hungry

Emily Osment stars in Young & Hungry, a sitcom created by David Holden. With Ashley Tisdale as the Executive Producer, this show had a great background and stellar cast from the very start. Set in San Francisco, a food blogger named Gaby is hired to be the personal chef to a wealthy businessman named Josh. After a one night stand with her soon-to-be boss, Gaby finds herself in a complicated situation and is forced to deal with her feelings, love triangles, and sassy coworkers, all while trying to answer the question, "What would Julia Childs do?" This show is equal parts hilarious and dramatic and will have you rooting for Gaby every step of the way.

6. Alphas

Alphas is a great show for lovers of the supernatural and mysterious. Airing on Syfy, this show was centered around a world where certain people had superhuman abilities. These people were known as "Alphas." One group of Alphas, under the leadership of Dr. Lee Rosen, a neurologist and psychiatrist that specialized in the superhuman, investigated criminal cases that featured people suspected to be Alphas. This show is intense in all the right ways, guaranteed to keep you watching as you root for Dr. Rosen's team against a seemingly insurmountable enemy.

7. The Tomorrow People

From the CW comes The Tomorrow People, a science fiction show that is actually a remake of an original British series that ran from 1973-79. Starring Peyton List, Luke Mitchell, and Robbie Amell, this show is a must watch. It tells the story of Stephen Jameson, a teenager who realizes that he is one of the "Tomorrow People," humans that have three very unique abilities -- telepathy, telekinesis, and teleportation. With this discover, Stephen finds himself in a war that has been going on for years between the Tomorrow People and Ultra, an organization designed to hunt and kill them. Learning that his missing father was the leader of these people sends Stephen on a journey to find his dad and maybe save his people in the process.

8. Star-Crossed

Star-Crossed isn't your typical story of the two lovers that have their families rooting for the demise of their relationship. No, this time, the entire world is essentially against it. In this series, aliens are real and they aren't green and slimy. No, they're hot with flawless skin and six packs. Well, Roman is, a fact that Emery Whitehill could attest to. Ten years after the battle between the Atrians and the humans, six Atrians are being let out of the internment camp that they've been trapped in for the last decade to join the humans at high school and Emery finds herself face to face with Roman, the alien she hid in her barn ten years prior. Complications arise and Emery is caught between what has always been and perhaps what should be. This show is dramatic in a good way with twists at every turn. It'll keep your guessing, that's for sure! Definitely a top pick for any sci-fi fans out there!

And there you have it! Just a few of the most underrated shows on Netflix that you should definitely watch as soon as possible!