8 Underrated Musicals That Everyone Should Know

Hamilton who? These are the musicals that you'll want to know for your next jam sesh!

4632
Kimberly Smith

This past weekend, Broadway's biggest stars came together at the Beacon Theater In New York City for the 70th Annual Tony Awards. This year had a bit of a different twist than years before, however-- one musical, "Hamilton", went into it with a record breaking sixteen nominations.

In the midst of all the "Hamilton" hype, it is easy to overlook other musicals that are deserving of recognition. This year, many theater fans were devastated that more underappreciated musicals such as "Bright Star", "Shuffle Along" and "Waitress", though nominated for awards, were outshone by the founding father himself.

As much as I love "Hamilton", I have known some amazing musicals in my life that a lot of my theater friends have never even heard of. They're all amazing and fun to listen to, and who doesn't want to be the first to introduce a new show to their friends?

These are my Top 8 favorite underrated or forgotten- about musicals:

8. Brooklyn The Musical

"Brooklyn" follows the story of a girl, also named Brooklyn, that comes to New York to seek out her father after her mother commits suicide. In the city, she discovers that she has an amazing vocal talent and becomes a star. In true musical fashion, she discovers herself along her path to stardom, as well.

The music, though cheesy, is fun to sing and has a great story line. Once you learn the words, the recording makes for great road trip/ audition music.

Brooklyn had a very short run, lasting only 284 performances on Broadway.

Recommended Songs: Once Upon A Time, I Never Knew His Name, Brooklyn Grew Up

7. Kiss Me, Kate

This one's an oldie, but that doesn't make it any less great. Back in it's day, it was very popular-- it actually won the Tony for Best Musical in 1949. Since then, it has become less popular among theater fans and more popular for high school and community theater groups.

"Kiss Me, Kate" is based on Shakespeare's "Taming of the Shrew", for those who are familiar with it. A play within a play, it switches between the onstage action and the drama of backstage life. There are multiple love stories, gangsters and even a spanking. It's great.

The musical has some amazing woman- power anthems, and the songs have a fifties feel about them while still bringing some modern flare.

Recommended Songs: I Hate Men, Always True To You- In My Fashion, Too Darn Hot

6. Miss Saigon

"Miss Saigon" was popular for a long time, but its popularity has declined in recent years. Though it is the thirteenth longest running show to ever be on Broadway, it is extremely underappreciated, especially with younger theater fans.

The show takes place during the Vietnam War, and follows the classic "forbidden love" story of a Vietnamese bargirl and an American Soldier. It also depicts the sacrifice that people involved in the war had to make and other historical scenes.

The songs in this show are dramatic, to say the least. It's a great listen!

Recommended Songs: Sun and Moon, I'd Give My Life For You, Bui-Doi

5. All Shook Up

I may have a bit of a bias when it comes to this show, as I just performed in it last semester and had the most amazing time with some amazing people. However, this show is vastly underrated for how much fun it is.

A jukebox musical based around Elvis Presley songs, "All Shook Up" tells the story of a rovin' roustabout who comes to a town reminiscent of the town in "Footloose". There's the classic love triangle in this show, of course, but the story also takes some unexpected turns.

The music is upbeat, and stays true to the original Elvis songs (aside from a few additional harmonies and other things to make it more "musical").

Recommended Songs: A Little Less Conversation, Heartbreak Hotel, Let Yourself Go

4. Across The Universe

"Across the Universe" is another jukebox musical, featuring the music of The Beatles. The show has never been on Broadway, but that doesn't stop it from being jam-packed with a ton of fun songs and some amazing choreography.

The show tells the story of Jude, a young British man who comes to the United States during the Vietnam War with hopes of finding his father. He finds his way in America with his new friends and a blossoming love interest, as so many lead characters do.

If you like the Beatles, you'll be pleased with how closely the music in this show sticks to the original songs. It is quirky, exciting and has a great story line. It is also on Netflix, so how can you go wrong?

Recommended Songs: Let It Be, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Hey Jude

3. Andrew Lippa's The Wild Party

Despite having a star studded cast featuring the talents of Idina Menzel, Taye Diggs, Julia Murney and Brian d'Arcy James, this show never quite got the recognition it deserved. With its powerful musical numbers and swingin' twenties choreography, "The Wild Party" is pretty extravagant.

The plot of this show is interesting, to say the least. When one character finds that her abusive partner is no longer satisfying her sexual needs, she decides to throw a party to try to humiliate him. At this party, multiple love triangles form and it all goes downhill from there.

This show cannot be explained in a short paragraph, but it really is fascinating. If you like the music of the twenties mixed with a ton of drama, this is the show for you!

Recommended Songs: Look At Me Now, The Juggernaut, A Wild, Wild Party

2. Songs For A New World

This show has always been one of my underrated faves for so many reasons. It's simplistic, there isn't a story line that you have to follow, and each song tells its own intricate story within itself. There are also some fantastic audition pieces in this one, which is an added bonus.

Recommended Songs: King Of The World, Surabaya- Santa, Hear My Song

1. Ordinary Days

This is a newer discovery of mine, but I have not stopped listening to it since the minute I downloaded it. The music is simplistic but quirky, and the characters are relatable in so many ways.

"Ordinary Days" follows the story of four young people trying to figure themselves out in New York City, not knowing that their paths will cross and change their entire life stories. For having never been on Broadway, this show is packed full of exciting and sometimes even heart- wrenching songs that will get stuck in your head for weeks at a time.

Recommended Songs: Rooftop Duet/ Falling, Calm, I'll Be Here

These are just the very top of my list of underrated musicals. There are thousands out there to explore, and they are all worth a listen. You may just find that your favorite show is one that others haven't even heard of!