underrated disney sequels

13 Underrated Sequels To Classic Disney Movies

Don't miss out on the return of your favorite characters!

175

As anyone who grew up watching the Disney classics (Lion King, Little Mermaid, Cinderella, etc.), I have a deep love for Disney movies. Truthfully, I am always up for watching them, no matter how many times I've seen them. Even though I am a firm believer that the originals are always better than the sequels, I will say that Disney managed to create some fabulous films to follow their already successful creations. Here's a list of some of the best, and in my opinion most underrated, Disney sequels.

Note: I am just including Disney movies, not Disney Pixar. No, I did not forget Finding Dory or The Incredibles 2.

1. "Lion King 1 1/2"

In a hilarious retelling of "The Lion King," we get the story from Timon and Pumbaa's point of view. This is definitely a favorite, and I highly recommend it.

2. "Lion King 2: Simba's Pride"

This story actually follows Simba's daughter, Kiara, and Scar's sucessor, Kovu, and their forbidden love. It has the same characters you love from the original, plus some new songs which are amazing!

3. "An Extremely Goofy Movie"

To be honest, I feel like "A Goofy Movie" is underrated to begin with. In the sequel, Max is going off to college, only to find out that Goofy has decided to go back to school! There's a lot more father/son bonding in this one, plus, Goofy dances disco.

4. "Return to Neverland"

"Peter Pan" is one of my all time favorites, so it's no surprise that I love the sequel. Wendy is all grown up in this movie, but her daughter Jane gets an adventure to Neverland. She doesn't believe in her mother's stories about Neverland, so she is in for a crazy time when Captain Hook kidnaps her to get to Peter Pan. I highly recommend watching this if you've never seen it!

5. "The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea"

This sequel is about Ariel's daughter, Melody, who discovers her mother's secret past of being a mermaid. The songs in this one aren't quite as iconic, but getting to see Ariel return to her buddy Flounder makes up for it.

6. "Aladdin and the King of Thieves"

Not only do we get more Aladdin in this movie, but we find out more about his family. Aladdin's father is still alive, so he tries to track him down. This sequel is fast-paced and has more Robin Williams, so it's definitely worth the watch!

7. "Cinderella II: Dreams Come True"

With three short stories, we see what Cinderella's life is like after marrying Prince Charming. The mice are back, the Fairy Godmother is back, and the stepsisters even make an appearance. It's a cute movie to see, especially if you like "Cinderella."

8. "Cinderella III: A Twist in Time"

I will confess, I like this movie better than "Cinderella II." The story is that the Fairy Godmother's wand falls into the hands of the Evil Stepmother. She turns back time and makes it so that the glass slipper fits Anastasia. Cinderella and the mice have to find a way to change things back before it's too late.

9. "Lady and the Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure"

I love dog movies, so watching Lady and Tramp's puppy as he gets into all kinds of trouble makes for a great movie!

10. "101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure"

Once again, dog movies are the best. Patch is one of the 101, but he wants to be "one of a kind." It's definitely cute to get a movie that focuses more on the puppies and their adventures!

11. "The Tigger Movie"

We return to the Hundred Acre Wood for this movie, but we follow Tigger instead. He is determined to find more tiggers like himself, and he discovers who his true family is.

12. "Lilo and Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch"

"Lilo and Stitch" is one of my all-time favorites, so any sequel is bound to be a hit. In this movie, we see more of the friendship between Lilo and Stitch, as well as a blossoming relationship between Nani and David. I highly recommend this return to Hawaii if you enjoyed the first one!

13. "Kronk's New Groove"

Ok, "The Emperor's New Groove" is a top notch Disney movie. It's hilarious, it's fast-paced, and it has a great redemption arc for Kuzco. In "Kronk's New Groove," we get to know more about the lovable sidekick, including the talking squirrel and a new love interest. This is a must-see for lovers of the original!