5 Underrated Movies You Need To Watch Immediately

Go get your popcorn and settle in.

452
YouTube

As a college student who looks for any excuse to not do my homework, write a paper or study for an exam... movies are my best friend! I have spent a lot of time browsing DVD collections, scrolling through Netflix or any other movie streaming site to find something to entertain myself for about an hour to three hours long. But, I have learned that some of my favorite movies a lot of people have never even heard about. So, consider this a PSA: you need to see these movies.

1. The Thinning

You'll like this movie if you also like: The Hunger Games, Divergent, or any movie that involves taking down "The Man."

The movie is set in a seemingly post apocalyptic world. In the beginning of the movie, it describes the plot as, "In the near future, the world's resources have severely depleted due to overpopulation. To combat the crisis, the U.N. now requires all countries to cut their populations by 5% annually. In America, all students must take a standardized test once a year. The lowest scoring students are executed. The test is known as the 10-241. But, most call it The Thinning." The movie follows two protagonists, Laina Michaels (Peyton List) and Blake Redding (Logan Paul). Laina is known to be the smartest girl in the school and Blake is the governor's son. After Blake's girlfriend is killed in The Thinning, he purposely tries to fail the next year to be killed as well, but it turns out that Laina surprisingly fails even though every other year she scores higher than everybody else. The movie follows as Laina tries to escape her fate and figure out what happened that went wrong as well as Blake trying to help her escape and shut down The Thinning for good. This movie is exclusively on YouTube Red, but the money is worth it to watch it.

2. I, Robot

You'll like this movie if you also like: Mr. Robot, Men in Black, Transformers

I'm sure majority of you reading this have probably heard of this movie. The cast includes Will Smith and a young Shia Labeouf - a dynamic duo. But, when people think of great Will Smith films, this film doesn't usually come to most people's minds... except mine. Honestly, this is probably one of my favorite Will Smith movies if not the favorite. By quickly looking up the summary it states, "In 2035, highly intelligent robots fill public service positions throughout the world, operating under three rules to keep humans safe. Despite his dark history with robotics, Detective Del Spooner (Will Smith) investigates the alleged suicide of U.S. Robotics founder Alfred Lanning (James Cromwell) and believes that a human-like robot (Alan Tudyk) murdered him. With the help of a robot expert (Bridget Moynahan), Spooner discovers a conspiracy that may enslave the human race."

3. Lemonade Mouth

You'll like this movie if you also like: High School Musical, Camp Rock, The Cheetah Girls

This is the most underrated Disney movie, do not even try to fight me on this. The movie follows five high school students, Olivia, Wen, Stella, Mo, and Charlie, as they meet in detention and form a band together. They desperately try to save their sports-focused school from totally forgetting about music as well as difficulties with families and friends and even pets. It's a real Disney masterpiece tbh, watch it.

4. Atlantis: The Lost Empire

You'll like this movie if you also like: The Little Mermaid, Lilo & Stitch, or pretty much any animated Pixar/Disney movie.

THIS MOVIE WAS SO UNDERRATED AND IT IS NOT FAIR BECAUSE IT WAS SO GOOD! The internet summarizes this movie as, "an inexperienced young adventurer becomes the key to unraveling an ancient mystery when he joins up with a group of daredevil explorers to find the legendary lost empire of Atlantis. A naive-but-determined museum cartographer Milo Thatch (Michael J. Fox), dreams of completing the quest begun by his late grandfather, a famous explorer. When a journal surfaces, an eccentric billionaire funds an expedition and the action shifts to high gear."

5. Spirit

You'll like this movie if you also like: 101 Dalmatians, The Aristocats

So many of my friends don't know this movie and it makes me so sad because it's SO good. According to my bff Google, this movie "Follows the adventures of a wild and rambunctious mustang stallion as he journeys through the untamed American frontier. Encountering man for the first time, Spirit defies being broken, even as he develops a remarkable friendship with a young Lakota brave. The courageous young stallion also finds love with a beautiful paint mare named Rain on his way to becoming one of the greatest unsung heroes of the Old West."

Go watch these movies. Immediately. You can thank me later.