Police Shoot Unarmed Terence Crutcher, 40, Dead After His Car Stalled In Middle Of Road

An unarmed black man was fatally shot by Tulsa Police last Friday night.

15
Images via Tulsa PD; Terence Crutcher / Facebook

An investigation is underway after an unarmed black man was fatally shot by a Tulsa, Oklahoma police officer after his car broke down Friday night. Terence Crutcher, 40, was taken to the hospital, where he later died.

According to the city’s Police Chief, Chuck Jordan, Crutcher was unarmed and there were no weapons found in his SUV.

Authorities say that the shooting occurred after an officer stopped to investigate a stalled vehicle in the middle of the road. According to police investigators, Crutcher began to approach after officers arrived to assist. Investigators also say that Crutcher refused several orders to show his hands and when he reached into the back of his car, one officer fired a taser while another officer fired the fatal shot, according to CBS affiliate KOTV.

Despite the allegations made by the Tulsa Police Department, video footage shows Crutcher with his hands in the air as officers direct him to walk towards his vehicle.

Damario Solomon-Simmons, an attorney for Crutcher’s family, said that Crutcher did not appear to be resisting arrest.

“We saw that Terence did not have any weapon,” said Solomon-Simmons at a news conference. “Terence did not make any sudden movements. We saw that Terence was not being belligerent.”

In the helicopter footage released by Tulsa Police, Crutcher is seen lying in the middle of the street for more than two minutes before officials approached him.

“Terrence died on that street by himself, in his own blood, without any help,” Solomon-Simmons said.

While Crutcher’s family is calling for people to protest, they have stressed that they don’t want any violence.

They have said that they are a peaceful family and want that culture of peace to live on as people protest this shooting.

Crutcher was a father of four and was studying music at Tulsa Community College, according to his family.