30 Things I Would Rather Do Than Park At UMAINE
Education

30 Things I Do At UMaine Without Giving Up My Parking Spot

The University of Maine isn't the worst school to park at by far, but sometimes finding a space is a struggle.

239
Kimberly Lawton

Parking at the University of Maine has become a highly debated issue in recent years.

With enrollment up, and the number of students commuting or bringing cars on campus increasing the competition for spots is intense, to say the least. In this list, you will find anything from general activities to do on campus at the University of Maine in Orono, to activities I personally enjoy.

Most of my friends and I would rather sleep than go out because there is no guarantee you will get your parking spot back. This can lead to a hike across campus which is not enjoyable in stormy or cold weather. The worst weekend for parking on campus is the move-in weekend. No one knows where to go or what to do, so traffic is gummed up on top of the fact that many of the lots closest to dorms are either filled or overflowing.

With all that being said, here are the 30 things to do at UMaine without giving up your parking spot:

Sleep, sleep, and more sleep.

There are a few motorcycle lots on campus and on beautiful days they are normally packed.

Kimberly Lawton

I'm pretty sure most students in my age value sleep about as much as I do. If I have the option to sleep in instead of driving somewhere I will take sleep nine times out of ten.

Study at the library in the third floor bunked desks.

The CCA Lot is one of the lots on campus that doubles as overflow, commuter, and faculty.

Kimberly Lawton

Studying, in general, is a really important activity but finding that place to crack down and focus can be difficult. The bunked desks on the third floor of the library provide the seclusion I know I need to whip out essays and programming assignments.

Hiking on the trails around campus.

There are also a few lots scatted among all the academic buildings which are mostly for staff and emergency or service vehicles.

​Kimberly Lawton

Hiking is a pretty great alternative to driving. Building up stamina and muscles now makes life so much easier once winter hits, so driving around campus all the time really isn't worth it in the long run.

Biking around campus getting things done.

Paying attention to signs like these is super important. Sometimes students will park in areas marked by these signs making it hard for service vehicles to get where they need to go.

Kimberly Lawton

If I need to get somewhere quick, there is no rain in sight, and I'm going it alone I'll take my bike to get around campus. It saves me gas and can be faster than both walking and driving due to all the fun little shortcuts.

Reorganizing my dorm room for the millionth time.

There are disability-friendly parking spots available close to every building on campus. Please only park there if you have the pass or need for these spots. It doesn't matter if you are only going to be there for a few minutes some people really do need those spots, especially when the campus is packed for sporting or orientation events.

Kimberly Lawton

Cleaning is a process I am constantly in the middle of so if I had the option of driving cross campus or getting everything just where I want it, I would choose to put everything in order first.

Walk to a hockey game.

Blue lots are for staff members, please respect their need to park as well and park only where your pass allows you to.

Kimberly Lawton

When you live on campus driving to a hockey game is possibly one of the worst ideas because of all the traffic. Riding a bike to the game would be dangerous mostly due to the added congestion of hundreds of people filing the stands. Plus, when you walk you are more likely to be given right of way.

Walk to a concert.

This is the Alfond Arena main lot. Probably one of the best parking options for hockey.

Kimberly Lawton

There are tons of events year-round at the CCA so why not support your fellow students instead of wasting the gas probably ending up having to fight for a parking spot at a different concert venue on top of when you get back to campus.

Walk to a football game.

Visitor parking spots should also be respected. If you have a parking pass you should be parking in the area designated by your pass.

Kimberly Lawton

Just like hockey, there are just too many people to contend with. Its so much safer to walk.

Eat at the dining hall.

This is another staff lot and a loading zone. Don't block loading zones! You could get fined or written up.

Kimberly Lawton

Eating out is a nice thing to do every once in a while but you will save your money and at times your sanity if you walk to a dining hall instead of driving off campus to find food, Depending on the time the only restaurants open nearby are McDonald's or Dysarts in Bangor anyways so in the long run is it even worth the gas if you are going it alone?

Walk or bike up to the gym.

More disability friendly parking behind Stevens and close to East Annex.

Kimberly Lawton

Why not get a pre-workout warm up in by walking or biking up to the gym?

Visit friends on campus.

Staff and Visitor parking by the Franco-American Center.

Kimberly Lawton

A bunch of my friends live in the same dorm as me so the farthest I have to go is up or down a few flights of stairs.

Walk to the Astronomy Center.

Roadside parking by Alumni Hall has stipulations to how long you can park there and why so make sure to read the blue signs nearby.

Kimberly Lawton

There is a changing selection of planetarium shows and for a whole five dollars, you could go see one as well as get a decent workout in.

Visit the art gallery at Lord Hall.

The small lot mall-side of Memorial Gym is mostly disability accessible or designated for staff.

Kimberly Lawton

There is always something new and interesting to see.

Participate in RA events.

This is a black lot which is normally used for overflow or visitors.

Kimberly Lawton

Your RA's are trying real hard to make you feel welcome and give you a chance to make friends or participate in all sorts of fun events in your dorm. Give them a chance and who knows, you could find yourself really enjoying a Friday night in.

Organize a game night among friends.

The main football complex lot, shut down for tailgating prep about 24 hours before every game.

Kimberly Lawton

Move-in weekend one of the guys on my floor organized a game of Monopoly between all of us who were already moved in and it was so much fun, even though I was the first one out.

Practice programming.

This is one of the between building lots.

Kimberly Lawton

Learning new skills is a much better use of time than wandering around campus looking for parking places.

Learn another language.

Disability accessible parking in front of the Franco-American Center is super convenient.

Kimberly Lawton

Just think, Duolingo could become your new best friend.

Take photos around campus.

This is the Steam Lot. If you want to get fresh fruits and veggies visit it on Saturday mornings or Tuesday evenings.

Kimberly Lawton

I don't recommend going around and taking pictures of signs and parking lots though. People think its weird even if you are doing it for an article.

Go to guest lectures.

This is a close up of the central motorcycle lot. Unfortunately, the normal plethora of bikes had mostly cleared out by the time I was able to snap a picture.

Kimberly Lawton

The University of Maine has hundreds if not thousands of amazing guest lecturers come and speak. Instead of tracking down prime parking you could be networking with extremely successful individuals.

Work out in my room.

There are lots of lights in the bigger lots to help you find your way back to your car when it is dark.

Kimberly Lawton

Sure going to the gym is a great option but sometimes it just isn't worth the walk or the drive. At these times I whip out my yoga mat and nama-stay home.

Walk to 1944 and practice my instrument.

Playing in the dorms is not exactly allowed or encouraged, especially if you play mostly lower brass instruments like me. When I feel the need to change things up or get some practice in I run down to 1944 and get a practice room.

Carpool with friends.

Carpooling to school or events if you live off campus can get you some prime parking right by the library.

Kimberly Lawton

This way we can take turns losing our primo parking spaces.

Go ice skating at the Alfond Arena.

Parking on the Hill ranges from being right by the gym, across from Hill Top, and by the Astronomy Center.

Kimberly Lawton

Its free on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, so there isn't really any reason not to sling to the side of the rink and hope I don't fall.

Knit or crochet hats, scarves, sweaters.

Any lanes specifically marked for emergency vehicles should be left clear at all times.

Kimberly Lawton

Even when it feels like a million degrees outside you will still find me knitting or crocheting hats and so much more. It's a good way to relieve stress and productively fidget.

Practice painting.

From next to this trashcan you can see both the gym lot I am standing in and the tennis court lot.

Kimberly Lawton

Currently, I am working on learning water-color painting. Its interesting and fun, but I can't wait for the weather to cool down a bit so everything doesn't dry down so quickly.

Get an on campus job.

There is also disability accessible parking close to Alumni Hall.

Kimberly Lawton

Why drive to a job off campus when there are tons of opportunities on campus (or within a bike-able or walk-able range)?

Practice machining.

This is one of the lots close to the Machine Tool Lab, Hilltop, and Cutler.

Kimberly Lawton

For my major maintaining machining skills is extremely important and can be done from the comfort of the Machine Tool Lab.

Get ahead on reading and assignments for the whole semester.

Visitors are normally given black passes.

Kimberly Lawton

Make some tea, and curl up with a nice stack of textbooks and required reading materials. Doing it now means a lot less work later on.

Write a bazzlillion articles for Odyssey.

A far shot of the central motor cycle lot.

Kimberly Lawton

This one probably only applies to me and my fellow creators but getting ahead on articles means not having to worry about deadlines and that is a beautiful thing.

Apply to an endless supply of scholarships and co-ops.

Please don't block loading zones!

Kimberly Lawton

Many scholarships actually start accepting applications now, or their deadlines are coming up really fast. CO-OPs and internship applications are also starting to pop up as most start really evaluating applicants in January.

We have all heard parking horror stories, but they are easily avoided if you move your car as rarely as possible. When I was running around campus trying to get all the pictures together, I met people with plenty of parking horror stories to tell. From what I heard, compared to New Jersey colleges parking here at the University of Maine is a breeze even if it does mean circling the parking lot for a half hour before class to find a spot in the pouring rain only to have your class be canceled.
On a side note, it's interesting to observe the reactions students and staff give when they realized that yes, I was really only taking pictures of parking lots and signs. Passers-bye seemed utterly confused by why I would be trying to get a relatively decent picture of a parking lot of all things, not the sweet rides within the parking lot, not where I was specifically parked, not even the scenery, just the lots themselves.